Calif. tax officials: Legal pot would bring $1.4B

Flashermac

I'm a small L libertarian. I believe its my constitional right to do with my body as I see fit. The fact that a lot of opiates and such were openly used and included in medicines suggests the founders thought the same.

Obviously if you harm others while under the influence it becomes a legal matter and a violation of someone else's rights to do so. However the possibility does not excuse the removal of that right. Your words could make someone commit suicide but no one is advocating taking away your freedom of speech.

The federal government had a flimsy excuse for making it illegal in the first place. Making it legal would right a wrong.

Florists, pharmaceutical companies, etc. would probably get in the manufacture of it. One really doesn't know what kind of chemicals and possible carcinogens are in the dime bag you bought from your 'hook up'. People died from alcoholic poisoning duirng prohibition because the manufacture of it was not relegated. I have no problem with companies still testing for it as well.

The tax officials are advocating the right thing for the wrong reasons.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SAN FRANCISCO – A bill to tax and regulate marijuana in California like alcohol would generate nearly $1.4 billion in revenue for the cash-strapped state, according to an official analysis released Wednesday by tax officials.

Bullshit analysis. Anybody with two brain cells knows that the members of the CA legislature have already consumed this year's supply...and probably have options on production for years to come. How else could they be so fucked up?

HH

<< I believe its my constitional right to do with my body as I see fit. The fact that a lot of opiates and such were openly used and included in medicines suggests the founders thought the same. >>

Fair enough ... as long as you don't expect the taxpayers to patch you up and keep you alive after your ruin your body.

Please explain what is wrong with weed vs. booze? A fucked up person is a fucked up person no matter what they are fucked up on. There is absolutely no good reason for weed to be illegal while booze is legal.

Let's save some time, don't give me the "Gate way drug" bullshit. Yes, maybe all heroin addicts smoked weed first...most or all of them probably drank booze first as well, is booze a "gateway drug?"

It is time we stopped wasting time and money locking people up for pot.

FREE THE BALES!

Please explain what is wrong with weed vs. booze? A fucked up person is a fucked up person no matter what they are fucked up on. There is absolutely no good reason for weed to be illegal while booze is legal.

Let's save some time, don't give me the "Gate way drug" bullshit. Yes, maybe all heroin addicts smoked weed first...most or all of them probably drank booze first as well, is booze a "gateway drug?"

It is time we stopped wasting time and money locking people up for pot.

FREE THE BALES!

A person should be responsible if they misuse taking drugs just like they are held responsible if they misuse alchol.

The days of prosecuting a person because they were thinking a person might commit a crime should be done away with.

I have a hookah in my living room. If the police should come to my house, they would confiscate (steal) my hookah. It never has been used for drugs.

I have a fairly good supply of legal drugs. They would say "Why so many legal drugs?" Then they would take my precription drugs and arrest me for having them.

They would find in my backyard a bamboo plant that looks a lot different then the other bamboo plants. I like variety. They would confiscate my bamboo plant which has 5 and 6 leaves similar to pot's 5 leaf plant. I doubt the police would see the new bamboo growth.

They would confiscate (steal) my guns.

All of this would happen if I let them in my house even though I have not committed one crime.

Whatever happened to frredom?

As noted in a prior post, who knows how many people are hooked on prescription, legal drugs. Half the kids on xanax or whatever and lord knows how many 'regular, law abiding' Americans hooked on any assortment of prescription pills.

Who has to foot the bill for any medical issues from the legalization is another matter and should not be part of the equation of making it legal. A right is a right. I have a right over my own body.

There are untold millions, perhaps billions, of direct or indirect costs of cigs and alcohol but no one is talking about banning them. Adding one more thing may increase that amount but it shouldn't be a reason for NOT making it legal as noted above.

Would or should a national health plan cover treatment? Prevention? I don't know. I tend to think one should take responsibility for their own decisions but I personally would include something with regards to treatment. I can certainly understand the sentiments of those who would prefer it not to be and for those individuals to purchase personal insurance to cover that possibility.

<< I believe its my constitional right to do with my body as I see fit. The fact that a lot of opiates and such were openly used and included in medicines suggests the founders thought the same. >>

Fair enough ... as long as you don't expect the taxpayers to patch you up and keep you alive after your ruin your body.

... but this should be a cause for the right-to-life brigade. :devil:

Archived