Need you help: one night out, Bangkok or Pattaya?

tartempion

Mekong, I'm sure in a car the difference would'nt be so great but the OP was talking about getting the bus to Pattaya? Which would add quite a bit of time. Personally I could'nt be bothered to travel down to Pattaya for just one night after just having travelled from Isaan and facing a European flight shortly after. But if he gets a limo straight down there then as you say(especially if its a quieter time of day) not a lot in it. If it was only one night I'd say stick to Bangkok but with 2 afternoons to play with as well I'd agree about making it Pattaya if he changes the bus to a faster limo/cab.

Simie.

Simie, agreed I tend to loose sight of the fact that most of my travel in this area is by private transport, either drive myself the wife drives her car or private hire.

But, this is only my personal opinion, given the OP's schedule I would be more inclined to spend the extra 750 THB each way taking a taxi to Pattaya as opposed to downtown BKK and then offset that outlay against the cheaper / more freely available ST's in Pattaya afternoon not forgetting the overnight longtime and cheaper accomodation costs.

OP did ask "Your arguments pro/against each option are welcome" and I am just putting forward my arguments, I am not trying to be contradictorary to others. If truth be known I prefer Bangers as a place to live than Pattaya having spent many years in both places, but if the shoe was on the other foot I would be off to Patts like a shot.

Mekong,

Can you drive me down to Pattaya next time I'm in town :grinyes::neener:

You have a valid point. I always arrive on the late night flights coming from the US and traffic is pretty light to Suk where I spend a few days working.

When I venture out to Pattaya, its normally on the weekend during the day.

As a result, my trips to Pattaya always start from lower Suk and not Swampy so my mind is conditioned to that loooooong ride.

Costwise, the greater price of transport to P vs BKK will be be more then offset by the cheaper price of mongering down here.

FS incl room/BF costs me 1000Bt both in my fav MP as well as in any Soi 6 establishment.

I love Tulip, but even 1 hr will set me back 1900 bt there. Some P places give me same quality at almost half the cost.

If the OP is going to do a daytime ST + a nighttime LT + a daytime ST before going back to the airport, the cost differerence is definitely in P's favour.

After reading your comments and thinking this over I will follow Mekong's lead, P it will be, mainly for the shear availability of sanuk.

In fact there is a bus airport-P on the our at door 7, 2 different companies. Two weeks ago I took Bell travel bus P to airport 2h door to door (hotel pick-up), a cab or limo will take 1 1/2 h so the 30 minutes extra won't make a difference.

Probably just leave my luggage in consign and move on to Patters, travel light. Will take bus if short wait, cab otherwise.

My second concern is to travel in good conditions, I hate being tired from all the traveling, add drinking and nightlife :drunk: don't want to be a wreck on the plane to Europe.

But the 34h between Swampy arrival and departure will be OK in the end to have sufficient rest.

Last year had an early flight out of Swampy, flew in evening before, plane was 1h late, got into hotel 8pm, had food, dropped dead in bed 9pm, got up 5.30am, breakfast at 6, taxi 6.30, check in 7am, no fun. Will do better this time.

Archived