Does Money Buy Happiness?

bust

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wealth probably halved in the last year, I'm doing my best not to monitor it too closely, to preserve my peace of mind. From having been pretty well off (retired), I'm now "OK", will survive, but not in high luxury.

But at the same time, my lifestyle has changed dramatically over the past 6 years.

I am living now a modest life in Chonburi province, modest condo as opposed to fancy house in Melbourne, my home maintenance outgoings have quartered, my dining out bills more then halved, my dressing budget now 10% of previous. Not by need, but because my lifestyle changed. I've 'been there, done that', drove the fast fancy car, collected the fancy modern art, renovated the classic old villa with seaviews. Done that, now left it behind. In fact, so far behind, I don't really care about those things anymore.

Now, I just want to live on the beach, eat moderately but good, maintain my old profession now hobby, be content (and have my regular bit of fun with local lovelies).

No money doesn't buy happiness, a surplus of it got me into the shit ten or so years ago, much happier now with less.

"Happiness comes in small doses folks. It's a cigarette butt, or a chocolate chip cookie or a five second orgasm. You come, you smoke the butt you eat the cookie you go to sleep wake up and go back to fucking work the next morning, THAT'S IT! End of fucking list!"

-Denis Leary (but he probably ripped it off someone else)

I am not convinced that happiness originates from sitting in the sun and doing nothing . I believe men are made to undertake something and if it works it means happyness ;sufficient cash coming in no major obstacle .

I'd agree with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

"Flow is the mental state of operation in which the person is fully immersed in what he or she is doing by a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity. Proposed by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, the positive psychology concept has been widely referenced across a variety of fields."

I am not happy because I have to work in a pressurised job to earn the money i need for my lifestyle. If I could get the same income without the job i would be a lot lot lot happier.

:yeahthat:

Anyway, there are as many concepts of happiness as there are people. For some it can be bought, more or less, for others it can't.

In my case, money can buy it. I'd love not be forced into do something (ie. a job) to keep going. Which doesn't mean I wouldn't do anything, just do what I feel like doing when I feel like doing it. Things would be different, though if were single, with no dependents but my wife and kids are great so that helps coping with the negative aspect of having to work a job and not being able to take significant risks.

Archived