Does Money Buy Happiness?

bust

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have chosen a rather modest life style, working only half-time thus allowing me to enjoy my kids and my life while I am still fit to do so.

Who knows what my retirement will be like if I ever make it that far. No quarantees.

I am an airline employee, which allows us to travel frequently with little costs, so that base is covered. Otherwise overseas travelling would only be a once every 5 years event.

The difference between being wealthy and just having an average income in my country is often just the size and cost of your toys.

Got in here late but the answer is yes, it does. Never had "money" and probably will never have it but sure would like to live in a house rather than a one bedroom condo. A Benz instead of a Nissan. Aircon instead of a fan. You get the point....money can buy you what makes you happy. Really don't see a downside to having any. The other end aint fun.

I just finished reading the blog maintained by the guy who walked into the Pennsylvania fitness center and opened fire, killing 4 women and himself.

He had a good job, had just gotten a promotion, liked his new boss and according to his last entry, a net worth of $250k, yet he lived a life of almost inconceivable emptiness and loneliness; the money did nothing for him.

The worst hell is the hell we impose on ourselves.

There is no doubt that money cannot help some people be happy, they are doomed by either their genes or their environment (depending on your beliefs) to a life of personal misery. We can only hope that they don’t go as far as this person did in acting out their unhappiness (to use an understatement).

But for a relatively well adjusted (or at least functioning) person, money can make a huge difference in how you view life.

TH

Money can also change people in a negative way, make them suspicious, doubtful of the motives of those claiming to be friends. It can turn the happy go lucky into quiet, withdrawn types. I've known such types...they really think their friends just want to blag off of them. Sad but true. Happened to a mate of mine who inherited millions. He was a best friend, then withdrew from life and became a virtual hermit. Odd. Total character change.

I'm not good with money, usually. Have tried to save recently, have had limited success with it. Things keep happening that dent my lofty ambitions.

Again, I said “relatively well adjusted (or at least functioning)â€Â. It sounds like your friend had serious self image issues and doubted that anybody actually liked “him for himâ€Â. This would have manifested itself is some other way even if had not inherited the millions. It was not the money that made him a hermit, it was his own issues with it.

I can't save a dime either. Gonna make the retirment a bitch.

TH

Got in here late but the answer is yes, it does. Never had "money" and probably will never have it but sure would like to live in a house rather than a one bedroom condo. A Benz instead of a Nissan. Aircon instead of a fan. You get the point....money can buy you what makes you happy. Really don't see a downside to having any. The other end aint fun.

I never have had money; but I have had wealth.

Archived