Does Money Buy Happiness?

bust

I met an old friend who I haven't seen for years today who once ran a very successful garment business based here in Australia.

Had done very well, big house latest C63 Mercedes lots of overseas travel with factories strewn throughout asia. But in the last 12 months he has pretty well lost the lot.

What was interesting was listening to him talk about just how happy he was and couldn't remember how long it had been since he felt this way. I lost everything 3 years ago and have been pretty well just existing without any real desire to rebuild my wealth. Maybe I am ready to start now but I have really related to the feeling this guy was describing this morning.

Anyone else lost it all and never felt better?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm living a far better - sanukier - interesting life now and living on a fraction of what I had in January - but then I've never owned any of the big ticket items - never been into labels etc.

That said I am having a LOT more fun - here in the village - wife misses Bangkok and oddly youngest son who loved visiting the farm is missing Bangkok - however I think he's really misses his nanny and the niece.

Money's a necessary evil, unfortunately.

The folks that have it right are the ones who actually enjoy whatever it is they do for a living. It takes a huge chunk out of our lives and 99.9% of us (self included) miss our calling.

When I was an uninspired teenager, my mom sent me to some Werner Erhard (EST) seminars in order to 'fix' me. :rolleyes: One thing the guy always went on about (that he had right) was the concept of 'Be, Do, Have.' That's the proper order of things, the 'have' coming naturally, as opposed to the other way around. But if that didn't work for you, he also had the backup philosophy of 'liking what you get' (whatever life deals you) in order to achieve happiness. In other words, it's all a matter of transforming one's perspective.

Having said all that, I'd still rather have the money.

Anyone else lost it all and never felt better?

Kind of on the contrary and never felt better .

Guys making big money very often become slaves of their self imposed pressure . Loosing the sanuk - instinct , showing bad mood . I may offer emergency courses how to enjoy life and running a successful business , though not a very big one .

My ultimate, breathtakingly high Jai Dee factor cannot be attained through money.

I have literally lost it all twice. I bounce back effectively well and have as some other posters suggested scaled back on what I think I need. I was amazed at how well I took a zero balance in my checking and savings account.

The realization that you are just an asshole led around by advertisers and politicians to consume their shit is a powerful one. I was helped by my experiences in Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, etc. and realizing the poor in America have it pretty good, and the middle class are actually kind of wealthy...they just consume way too much.

When I lived in LOS (1992 - 1999), and for 6 of those 7 years worked for myself, I had a very fluctuating income. Some months quite good circa 100K and some months not good, even nothing or maybe 20K to 40K but I enjoyed my life. Eventually I was bankrupt and had to leave, then I was not happy.

The following 10 years have been spent in Dubai where I have a very good salary but am I happy with my life here? No, at least not for the last 5 years.

So I suppose that could be an example of money not making me happy, or perhaps it's got more to do with my surroundings?

But whether it makes you happy or not you need money and the older you get the more you realise that.

Archived