Carrying Passport in LOS

MooNoi

When I lived in LOS for 6 years, I don't think I ever carried my passport there as I walked around.

Now I know 2 people who have come back from LOS in the last week and *BOTH* told me that twice when they were there, the cops stopped them and asked to see if they were carrying their passport.

(One person had this happen twice in BKK - around the MBK area and on Suk, and the other whilst on Beach Road in Pattaya).

They had left them back in the hotel safe. The cops promptly "fined" them (after threatening them with arrest) for not carrying their passport - 1000 baht "no receipt" or 10000 baht with receipt. (Well, which option would YOU take?) :doah:

I know that technically you're supposed to carry your passport with you at all times, but I **HATE** doing that - much safer in the hotel safe if you ask me, and just another thing to lose - especially when its late at night after a drinking session. :drunk:

So when I'm there for my holidays from tomorrow, should I now carry my passport around with me at all times, or would a photocopy suffice?

Is this a new scam courtesy of the GFC, or were my 2 frends unlucky and it was just a coincidence they were both stopped and hassled? :dunno:

Is it really necessary to carry your passport around with you at all times whilst in LOS?

:dunno:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically you should carry your passport, however its unusual to be stopped and sounds like the BiB are out for their daily tea money.

You might want to carry a copy with you (including stamp) this may let you off the hook but I suppose it depends on the attitude of the particular cop.

I've had misshaps from carrying my passport that have been very costly a friend of mine suggested that a safe compromise is to get the relevant pages photocopied and laminated and carry them, then if a copper stops you show them that, explain the situation and offer to take them back to your hotel or flat.

Cheers

I've lived here for some 22+ years and have never been asked to provide my passport, in an informal situation. Goes without saying that one needs to have it handy when doing official business. I certainly am not overtly {if at all} conscious about having on my person wherever I go. I believe this 'rule' might mostly be enforced in major population centres, whereas in rural situations it might be looked upon indifferently...

When I lived in LOS for 6 years, I The cops promptly "fined" them (after threatening them with arrest) for not carrying their passport - 1000 baht "no receipt" or 10000 baht with receipt. (Well, which option would YOU take?) :doah:

:dunno:

I simply don't believe that the fine for not carrying your ID would be 10.000 baht in LOS !

That would be 5 times as much as it costs in my country !

What option I would choose? Maybe the arrest or the 10.000 baht WITH RECEIPT.

Is this a new scam courtesy of the GFC

Not sure how it would equate that as I am not sure that the GFC has effected the BiB wages...but maybe fewer tourists and less opportunities for tea money.

As for the passport I have never carried it but do carry a coloured copy on me at all times.

I also have the direct line to the Australian Consulate in my phone +66 2 344 6300 but have never used it (how would I call from a thai number :rolleyes: ) I decided a long time ago that if ever I became victim to one of these scams I would call the number on the spot and see how they react.

Technicaly one is not required to carry passport, actualy technicaly one is required to carry proof of ID (I know this old Chestnut again)

Whilst I was home the past 3 weeks I noticed a higher level of "Law Enforcement", I got busted twice for speding in 10 days in the past usualy only once every 6 monhts. Can't compalin I was breaking the speed limit but it appears that in this currecnt ecconomic climate that laws are being enforced more stringently in order to make some Tea Money.

Thanks for the break down on the law.

Just out of interest, do you actually have the relevant Act/ordinance which states this to be the fact or is it more to the point that no legislation actually exists that says "foreigners/aliens must carry a passport. Usually a passport is just an entry document.

Archived