Advice Needed on Buying a House

expat

Thank you for your encouraging words which only prove I am on a good way . Said taxi driver does indeed offer immaculate credentials supported by a paper in his car saying " Tana, honest taxi driver . 1 hour inside Bangkok 300 baht ." Compare this with one hour at Pagasus , the man creates value and is a Taksin supporter. What more does anybody need ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

The deal went through on Thursday. I went and talked to a lawyer, and he said that given the situation, he didn't think his services were necessary.

The transfer went smoothly and took about 3-4 hours. The bank rep was there (he looked like a motorcycle taxi driver and was handling other cases as well at the time) but disappeared before the deal was finalized. We had to search for him to give him the cashier's check.

I had to sign a document--I guess it was on saying that I had no interest in the property.

I had to sign a document--I guess it was on saying that I had no interest in the property.

I guess we have difference in style, I do not sign anything, I do not understand fully, in this type situation.

Yuu have a registered and certified copy of the deed,I guess ?

Happy that everything, is fine... Congrads !

Thanks for the congrats, guys.

I had to sign a document--I guess it was one saying that I had no interest in the property.

I guess we have difference in style' date=' I do not sign anything, I do not understand fully, in this type situation.

[/quote']

Perhaps I didn't explain the situation and what happened well enough--looking back at what I said it does seem a bit too relaxed. I knew I would have to sign a document saying that I had no interest in the house from previous discussions in this thread and elsewhere, so I was expecting it. My wife read the document and said something like "This is the document we expected you to have to sign."

A second aspect is that this purchase did not represent a large portion of our assets, and the amount of caution we used reflected that. If the house cost say 30% of our assets, I would have had a very different approach.

You have a registered and certified copy of the deed,I guess ?

Yes, we have the chanote (the word in Thai for deed as I understand).

A side note that may be of interest to some: You can designate a head of household for the house. We were not prepared yet to do this as we will use my wife's father and we have to get some papers together first. (My wife cannot be head of household because she already is HOH on her house in Bangkok.) We had intended, therefore, to leave the head of household blank.

However, one of the owners didn't have another place to put her name on a household book, and asked us if she could keep her name on the book. As the deal had gone smoothly on all sides and a lot of trust had been shown, we allowed this. As she is the only person in the housebook, she is the head of household until we can get my wife's father into that position. She wanted to keep the house book, but we said we would keep it and give her copies if she needed them.

There is no danger that we know of--it's really the owner of the house who is in control of who is head of household so we anticipate no problems.

Archived