Advice Needed on Buying a House

expat

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no experience, in Thai Real Estate, here in the US, many years ago, I past the Brokers Exam, in MA. Additionally, one regular golf partner of mine, is a Real Estate Attorney.

Wacky shit, happens and many diffent imcubrances can be found out at the title office, here in the US. I can only imagine, the same or more could happen in Thailand. (Taxes Not Paid, Utilites, Insurance, Machanics Lien and many more things)

I understand the transaction clearly here, but with little Thai Language ability, I know there, I be lost.

A friend bought a condo, in Thailand, and with the Thai system, he did not get his title to the property for 6 to 12 months. I doubt you will know you have a clear title, for months. For me, that just does not work.

I can just imagine the Bank Rep, going to the title office with you, and telling you Mai Pen Rai. What I can not imagine, is them giving your money back, should there be an issue, immediately, never mind, sometime down the road.

Good Luck ~

I'd get a lawyer who knows all the ins and outs of stuff - this is the LOS anything can happen. Even though it may all look easy, a lawyer hopefully will help things go smoothly.

I've bought a few houses in oz and without a lawyer/conveyancer it would have been impossible.

Mekhong

:beer:

VK

I will drink to that!

Back to the OP, as others have stated get a lawyer who is working for you, when you are considering multiple million Baht Transactions its not worth trying to save a few thousands by going it alone.

Mrs M invests a lot (her own money I may add) into new property developments and even in Thai-Thai deals with people she has known for years the deals are brokered via the lawyers of both parties. My simple rule of thumb is "How woud one go about it in home country" then multiply it by ten in Thailand, or any country that is not your own for that matter, I don't know about you but I personally work hard for my pennies so I am bloody careful when it comes to investing them into anything outside of my "Comfort Zone" / home market which I think I know.

There is an unhealthy distrust for lawyers.

I have never met rich people who complain about their lawyers.

Here in Brisbane, where the average price is $500,000.00 AUD for a nice home in the inner suburbs. Your average solicitor will charge you $700.00 for their work. That equates to %0.014 ... try getting insurance for your car for less then 5-10% per year (that's per year) for an average car, impossible!

Still, you get those who rant and rave complaining about solicitors ... if the solicitor stuff's up you sue them, and for basic commercial transactions your sucess is 99%.

You don’t necessarily need a lawyer, but it will be very helpful to have someone you are paying a fee to, that is familiar with that land office and the people in it. They will make the process much simpler and ensure it is done correctly. We just happened to know someone that fit the bill in our area, how would find someone similar I have no idea. Maybe a law office or real estate person.

TH

Sir ,

this might well be a sound advice if you are familiar with local customs and already know what to look for . Silly falangs from the Black Forest like the good old BuBi would be totally lost . Over the last 2 weeks I made somebody ring all these people advertising land for sale on hand written signposts along the highway from Korat to somewhere . The result is devastating . There is typically somebody answering the phone who has no idea what you ring for , next to happen is somebody else ringing back with a price . Aforementioned No. 2 though is unable to talk about the sale because sista own land . And so forth . I actually feel more and more on safe ground because it is same same early days in Portugal when brother X did advertise a plot that has been inherited by 4 and the other 3 did not dream of selling anything . It is all very entertaining already now , actual building might be the final comedy . I love this .

You might be less concerned about my future fate if I tell you now that my current maitre de plaisir handling affairs is a Bangkok based taxi driver whom I located in front of my riverlodge . Which is in line with your recommendation to use local experts to sort things out . Him very honest , good heart and alway use meeta .

Archived