New Laptop Conundrum

The_Munchmaster

I want to buy a new laptop. Nothing wrong with my existing one other than it's 3 years old, but I want a bigger one, 16" to 17" screen with a full keyboard, i.e., with a number keypad, which is important for what I do.

The conundrum is that they are all sold with Vista at the moment, which everyone says is crap. I realise that I'll be able to upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out but I'm more than a bit concerned that the combination of Windows 7 being new and upgrading from Vista will cause a bunch of problems.

So do I have to hold off with my purchase until Windows 7 is tried and tested? Hope not.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

if you need to buy a new computer now make sure you get one where you have the free option to upgrade to Win7 once available. Even though you'll have the additional work to upgrade to Win7 or do a clean setup you should do it.

Otherwise wait until you get the computer with Win7, preferable a 64bit version.

I'm using Win7, the Release Candidate that is good until march 2010. Compared to Vista it's not that different, but has noticeably better performance. Just like Vista should have been from the start.

And if you don't believe me, read the computer magazines which had XP, Vista and Win7 installed on identical machines. They rated the performance and Win7 won while Vista came in third.

Of course Win7 profits a lot from the experience made with Vista.

64bit drivers are now available for about every recent hardware, which wasn't the case when Vista came out.

Archived