New Laptop Conundrum

The_Munchmaster

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Munchie,

the 64bit operating systems are able to address and use more RAM (memory) than the limit one had with 32bit operating systems.

Windows XP could only address about 3 to 3.5GB (depending on the mainboard, on board video etc). So even when one installed 4 GB of RAM the OS could not make full use of it.

Same goes for Windows Vista 32bit and Windows 7 32bit.

The 64bit versions suppurt more RAM. Theoretically way north of Terrabyte. The newest Intel boards support 24GB and the most boards used these days support 16GB.

Additional to that you have limits for the various versions of Windows:

While the maximum RAM limit for 32-bit Windows 7 editions is 4GB (as I said before, only 3 to 3.5GB usable by OS), when it comes to the 64-bit editions, the amount of memory that the OS can address depends on which edition you are running.

Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7 64bit:

* Starter: 8GB

* Home Basic: 8GB

* Home Premium: 16GB

* Professional: 192GB

* Enterprise: 192GB

* Ultimate: 192GB

Win7 will have no problems running with 2GB and unless you have programs that need more RAM there's no need for more. But then RAM is dirt cheap right now, I use 4GB and disabled the page file which improves performance. Video editing surely benefits from more RAM.

Last week I helped a friend building his new computer. 2x1GB Ram was 28 Euro, 2x2GB RAM was 36 Euro. 8 Euro wisely spent.

Of course, RAM for notebooks costs more, upgrading not that easy, you better buy one which has 4 GB already.

Oh, the 64bit drivers are necessary for the various hardware to work with a 64bit OS.

... for a 64-bit operating system. It allows you to access >4 GB of memory.

And what does that mean? Access for what?

All these apps can benefit from 64-bit computing,

1) Database

2) Gaming

3) Video/Photo Editing

4) Scientific Computing

5) Engineering

Good explanation Carlton. Thanks.

I'll be out looking this afternoon so I'll test some of the shop staff to see if they know whether the preinstalled Vista is 32 or 64 bit.

However for normal applications, i.e., word processing, spreadsheets, photo editing, browsing, etc, is any more than 2GB RAM needed?

Good explanation Carlton. Thanks.

I'll be out looking this afternoon so I'll test some of the shop staff to see if they know whether the preinstalled Vista is 32 or 64 bit.

However for normal applications, i.e., word processing, spreadsheets, photo editing, browsing, etc, is any more than 2GB RAM needed?

If you'll use for example Photoshop, Word, Firefox e.g. at the same time you should go for 4GB RAM.

If you start with 2GB you will have to upgrade in a year or so anyway.

Archived