BG from R 1 Pulls Gun on Customer

Gadfly

BT,

True. One of the first things that comes to my mind is the killings where the adult children of the highly placed are involved. I am specifically thinking of the pub shooting of a police office a few years back and the frustrating ramming of a bus and death of a few of its passengers by a hi so kid who apparently had an anger control problem. Some initial outrage, but no one went to jail. It all just faded as if nothing had happened in the first place.

And then the rumors that the adult child in the pub shooting incident was involved in a more recent incident where he pulled a gun in a Thonglor area pub. The bars in Soi Cowboy had to close early for about a week after. Total disconnect between (a) the problem and (B) the fix. We discussed here, but I don't recall seeing anything in the press about it here. Imagine if the child of some influential politician in the West was involved in multiple incidents of this kind?

If we collectively forget what we saw, it didn't happen. At the lower levels - when the children of the highly placed are not involved - I think this happens much more often than we realize.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to hold my nerve when all hell is breaking loose around me. I was an officer in the Australian army. Not unlike a lot of people on this forum I hang around Nana quite a bit.

Once when I was ambling down the road – a taxi broadsided me – it must have taken some skill to do that without hitting me fully. I yelled out and put my finger out in the fuck you position, then the driver popped out and he had a crowbar and all the Thai people in the street appeared to be closing in. My blood was boiling at that point, but I could see where this was going and I told the driver in a burst of inspiration that I was a good friend of the police commissioner of Nana – and you are in big trouble (I’m a 6 foot barbarian with ancestors from Sweden). He capitulated at that point and was speechless, so I took the crowbar , successfully disarming him (resisting the temptation to beat him with it somehow), then I told him to pray to Buddha that I won’t report this to his immediate superior. He then gave me a handful of 20 baht bills and begged me not to report him.

My Thai language speaking and my officer training probably saved me. I did report the incident to the police and since then this particular violent scam has since been nipped in the bud.

I also see a relationship between: (a) it all just fading away and (B) it happening again and again. Particularly when a barrier has been breached.

Think about the pub shooting involving the bigwig's son. I think most of us know who I am talking about. Son of big time politician in the military shoots a police officer in front of scores of witnesses in a pub execution style. Police are understandably pissed. He "miraculously" escapes, and we read stories about the big politician helping the son escape and hiding the murder weapon.

The son returns after a few months when things have cooled down. Witnesses have conveniently forgotten what happened. I think this kids rank was restored (not sure about this detail). Big time politician is now an even bigger fish. It's all as if nothing happened at all.

And now, just recently, the son apparently repeated the pulling a gun in a pub stunt in the Thonglor/Ekkamai area. That, at least, was the story I heard about why there was one week crackdown a few months back on Soi Cowboy.

Is there a pattern here? And if so, has a very bad precedent been set? That does seem to be the way things work here.

Some food for thought next time I amble over to Nana.

Archived