BG from R 1 Pulls Gun on Customer

Gadfly

I also see a relationship between: (a) it all just fading away and (B) it happening again and again. Particularly when a barrier has been breached.

Think about the pub shooting involving the bigwig's son. I think most of us know who I am talking about. Son of big time politician in the military shoots a police officer in front of scores of witnesses in a pub execution style. Police are understandably pissed. He "miraculously" escapes, and we read stories about the big politician helping the son escape and hiding the murder weapon.

The son returns after a few months when things have cooled down. Witnesses have conveniently forgotten what happened. I think this kids rank was restored (not sure about this detail). Big time politician is now an even bigger fish. It's all as if nothing happened at all.

And now, just recently, the son apparently repeated the pulling a gun in a pub stunt in the Thonglor/Ekkamai area. That, at least, was the story I heard about why there was one week crackdown a few months back on Soi Cowboy.

Is there a pattern here? And if so, has a very bad precedent been set? That does seem to be the way things work here.

Some food for thought next time I amble over to Nana.

I know of one farang living with his wife.

One day a few soldiers shows up at her doorstep. I guess she called them. They lock the outside gate and go inside the house.

She gives them some money and they give her a hand gun.

He notes the gate is locked and she has a gun. He goes upstairs and 'escapes' by crawling out a window.

This really happened to one farang.

Comedy Central.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What strikes me as odd about this story is that no one would tell you what it was about (not even a bullshit version of events), then you were shown the door for asking.

I would think all the girls in the bar would have been talking amongst themselves after such and event and, if you knew a few of them, at least one would clue you in. (I'm assuming you're somewhat of a regular because you post about NEP often.)

What strikes me as odd about this story is that no one would tell you what it was about (not even a bullshit version of events), then you were shown the door for asking.

I would think all the girls in the bar would have been talking amongst themselves after such and event and, if you knew a few of them, at least one would clue you in. (I'm assuming you're somewhat of a regular because you post about NEP often.)

I think it depends on how serious the incident is, or how crazy/powerful/connected the person(s) involved. I can fully understand how people would want to block it out at the moment it happened. Who knows, maybe they will clue him in next time.

I don't know too many BGs in this bar anymore (most of the ones I did know seem to have migrated over to Soi Cowboy). I know or rather, should say, recognize a mama-san there. She clearly wasn't keen to talk about it. I do wonder why, but one obvious answer comes to mind: it's bad for business and probably a major loss of face to even acknowledge what had happened just a few scant moments ago.

I suspect some of the BGs were talking about what happened, but its loud in R 1 (for these old ears) and, even though my Thai is passable, I am not able to eavesdrop on gossiping BGs if they are even more than just a few feet away and even then, I probably get it wrong half the time anyway.

Soongmak also makes a good point about blocking it out. It takes a few moments for all of this to register - at least for, since it's not something I have encountered before. My hope is that it is not a harbinger of things to come as things get more uncertain here.

And now all the rumours are of how Abhisit has lost control of the police....

Agree. That was the first story I read the next day. The police overruled the elected PM's choice for chief of police (as though they are a separate power unto themselves) and it made the front page of the Bangkok Post. Sure sounds like a power struggle to me.

The way I understand it is that there is a committee to find a new police chief. Abhisit is the chairman of this committee. He made a nomination and it didn't pass. I don't believe he just chooses someone and they are then just dropped in the position. So the statement that the police overruled the PM I don't believe is accurate. But as always, I could be wrong.

Archived