Taxi situation

Alfmaz

Haven’t been to Thailand since March 2008, but coming back soon have they improved the Taxi situation at the new Airport.

I heard they were trying to push out the rip-off taxi drivers, not so bad coming in the day time but at 11.30pm. Anyone tried the girls who hold the sign real taxis only going to Suk Soi 19.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taxi are not problem if you get into the que and get the paperwork.

Never had an issue with the proper taxi que...have had issues going up to the departure floor and grabbing a taxi...had some dumb (maybe smart) taxi driver completely ignore my instructions and give me a back street tour of BKK. YMMV.

Shygye - while I will agree that 150 is no bargain, but it aslo isn't expensive, but gotta disagree with the hauling of the luggage.

For me the biggest concern is traffic at the Makkasan interestection, right now it is a mess as it is - not sure if the powers have the ability to smooth out the traffic flow in that area.

When I fly into the airport, I always go up to the top level and grab a cab that has just dropped someone off. The drivers are not supposed to collect passengers but are VERY happy to get a ride as it usually means another good fare into town. You don't have to queue and you don't have to pay the 50 baht surcharge. It has always worked well for me.

When I fly into the airport, I always go up to the top level and grab a cab that has just dropped someone off. The drivers are not supposed to collect passengers but are VERY happy to get a ride as it usually means another good fare into town. You don't have to queue and you don't have to pay the 50 baht surcharge. It has always worked well for me.

Yeah, but what about taking care of the guys who have done the right thing and waited downstairs for a legitimate fare? :dunno:

Last few times I have been there, there has been very few people in the queue and it has been very well organised and I'm in the cab quickly. :tophat:

Worth going up 2 levels or whatever it is to save 50 baht? Whatever... Who needs it more? You or the cab driver sitting behind the wheel for hours on end day-after-day? :dunno:

We complain when Thais don't "do the right thing" by us farangs, so why should we be hypocritical and not do the right thing by the cab drivers at the airport?

When I fly into the airport' date=' I always go up to the top level and grab a cab that has just dropped someone off. The drivers are not supposed to collect passengers but are VERY happy to get a ride as it usually means another good fare into town. You don't have to queue and you don't have to pay the 50 baht surcharge. It has always worked well for me.[/quote']

Yeah, but what about taking care of the guys who have done the right thing and waited downstairs for a legitimate fare? :dunno:

Last few times I have been there, there has been very few people in the queue and it has been very well organised and I'm in the cab quickly. :tophat:

Worth going up 2 levels or whatever it is to save 50 baht? Whatever... Who needs it more? You or the cab driver sitting behind the wheel for hours on end day-after-day? :dunno:

We complain when Thais don't "do the right thing" by us farangs, so why should we be hypocritical and not do the right thing by the cab drivers at the airport?

I agree with Moo Noi 100%. If you don't do things the established way by going downstairs, getting the ticket and paying the 50 baht (btw, I have NEVER had a problem going through the queue with getting the taxi to run the meter or any other discrepancy), then you have NO right to complain about "scamming Thais" "TIT" "Thais never act like the rules apply to them" or any of that other [usually expat] baby whining.

The old airport I pretty much always did as Stick does.

However with new aiport you need to cross the road - pain in the arse - frankly easier going downstairs - as said queue is short.

Now they have partially copied the Sillypore system - cabs wait at a angle - but unlike SIllypore - the person on first is Random.

Archived