Brit raped on Samui

Faustian

kamui,

so actually it seems as if you expect 'someone' to inform you of this particular 'rape risk' when you book your first trip to LOS is it? :hmmm:

well maybe best stay at home...

Why? :surprised:

You mean, I shouldn't be informed about potential deadly threats against me or fellow travelers?

By the way I just checked the infos on LOS at the website of the German Federal Foreign Office. The warning in regard to LOS is exceptionally detailed and long. Around *30* paragraphs with warnings for German visitors. Compared to this: Vietnam: 10 paragraphs, or Dom Rep (another favorite overseas tourist destination): 6 paragraphs, Cambodia: 4 paragraphs.

It seems that LOS is one of the most dangerous tourist destinations among the favorite holiday destinations.

One example paragraph from the German Foreign Ministry website:

(Quote, with my translation)

Violent crimes (partly resulting in death) are increasing. Especially in tourist centers like Phuket, Koh Samui and Pattaya. The island Koh Pha Ngan shows an increase in violent crimes. Additionally more and more often girls and women are raped at Full Moons parties by other drunk or drugged males at the parties, sometimes resulting in death.

Link

Welcome to the Land of Smiles. :(

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<< Additionally more and more often girls and women are raped at Full Moons parties by other drunk or drugged males at the parties, sometimes resulting in death. >>

Don't blame that on the Thais. :dunno:

Nope I don't, since it's a quote. And for the raped/murderer women it doesn't make a difference anyway.

yes you should INFORM YOURSELVES prior to traveling just like you keep informed about the risks of staying at home right?

so sure foreign office is a great starting point for that & as you now learned they got a lot of the kind of info you were saying most travelers ignore & thus are left wide open to those REAL risks.

I guess 1 reason Thailand warning info is so long is due to the number of cases the embassy had to deal with in the past which could be due to large number of visitors and/or high risk place.

Didn't notice any particular rape/female/cultural warning, but at least the full moon party part is a good primer & yes rapists could as well be Thais as foreigners!

Enjoy

" This is still a 3rd world country after all with a distorting veneer of civility and a modern 1st world facade hiding the ugliness beneath "

Interesting post, although the bit about Thailand having a 1st world facade is far fetched.

The Thai men aren't angels and I don't doubt some are utter bstards but there are a fair few sociapathic farang who lurk about.

When I worked on Koh Tao we had 2 tourist girls at our diving school (also farang) raped by a lone farang who used the rape drug (sleeping draught) on them.

The useless thai cop wouldn't lift a finger unless they remained behind on the island for a full investigation.

Archived