Brit raped on Samui

Faustian

KS,

"All one needs to do is look at some of the soaps. It is not at all uncommon to see a girl get raped (or very close to it) by the male star and then towards the end of the soap she madly falls in love with him and they marry."

Yep. Totally disgusting what they show for behaviour on these stupid soaps. Loads of violence, near rape, rape, fighting, and extremely anti-social behvaiour. These soaps are totally against what is promoted here as being normal 'Thai' behaviour, yet the people eat this shit up daily. Probably a closer true mirror of Thai behaviour than most think. Seems the rich (Thai Chinese) depicted are not so nice people as one would think? Also a very bad example to show to the kids, who watch this all the time. They do seem to emulate this sort of thing, especially the/some young women I notice. Some of them seem to live in a fantasy 'soap opera' of their own making and script.

Yeah, it is all 'make believe', but many do not seem to be able to discern that. The only reason I can see to watch these stupid TV shows is the hot babes one sees on them at times. :shifty:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cent pretty much explained why the rape happened.

it was simply too tempting & trust me drunk white trash chicks in taxis back home are mainly begging for stuff like this to happen, but somehow it doesn't much - well apart from of course here if they replicate their irresponsible behaviour or their friends doesn't protect them :rolleyes:

shame really.

surely every girl with any wit in LOS knows this risk & would be hard pressed to put herself in such vulnerable situation - of course some do & not all drivers are freaks, but the stats are pretty obvious & unfortunately not much being done to stamp it out so be warned :rolleyes:

"trust me drunk white trash chicks in taxis back home are mainly begging for stuff like this to happen, but somehow it doesn't much"

Well, in the west this is a big crime with big punishment and men are taught from childhood it is a very bad thing to do (at least those boys with decent caring parents as role models and teachers). Plus women's lib has had decades to help stamp it out in the population, we are not under a male dominated/patriarcal society and culture any more. Thailand is, in my opinion, in many ways culturally at least 50 years behind the west in many aspects, this is one example. Women here are for the most part still second class citizens whose rights are not as valued as male 'rights'. There is an attitude here that if a woman gets raped it is somehow her fault/her family's fault. And a 'boys will be boys' mindset where they prize males over females. You can see this just by the amount of prostitution available here even though it is supposedly illegal.

This is a story Andrew Drummond should focus on as well to warn the tourist women that all is not peaches and cream in exotic Thailand. The possibility of a woman getting raped here in my estimation is much higher than in the west and other tourist destinations in the west. This is still a 3rd world country after all with a distorting veneer of civility and a modern 1st world facade hiding the ugliness beneath. Look under that facade and things are a bit more dangerous than one would think than from what the TAT likes to have people believe of the country and promotes.

Anyone ever seen an embassy warning about rape in Thailand for the female tourists coming from their country? I haven't. It is something that should be mentioned and warned of.

Hi,

"He said he rented the taxi from his friend who had the license and that it is done all the time to maximize profits/income."

Yep, very common. The guys tend to hire the cars for 24hr periods, but obviously don't drive 24hrs, so they 'split' this with a mate. More often than not the picture doesn't get changed.

Sanuk!

Rape is a huge problem in Thailand. Happens all the time here. You don't read about it in the English language papers unless it ends up happening to a foreign woman... usually.

Up here in Surin the bastards target a woman riding alone on her motocyke. They follow her out to the outerlying areas of the city where it is more secluded. They'll then wait until no one is on the road and use their truck/car to drive her and her motocyke off the road. Once she is driven off the road they take her into the trees/bushes and rape her. They then leave her on the side of the road in the trees and drive off. Sometimes they will take her to a secluded place and rape her for hours' date=' many men can be involved. If she fights it she is severely beaten, sometimes killed if one of the rapists is afraid she can identify him (or them) or the beating is too severe.

Lately I have heard it is store and restaurant staff that have late work hours that have been targeted. I myself believe there is a gang here doing this. I think one or more of these guys sees a girl working in a shop or restaurant/bar that strikes their fancy and they wait around and follow her. I think some women are stalked to see where they live and how they get home (to see if they drive in a secluded area that makes the crime easy for the rapist/s).

The standard here, the 'custom' if you will, is for a woman to be picked up after work (especially a night time job) by a family male: brother, cousin, nephew, father, boyfriend, husband, etc. You see it all the time. It is the usual behaviour here to protect the women in your family. Why? Because rape is very common here and the men know they need to protect their women from the scumbags. The women protect themselves by only going out at night in groups.

The thing is a woman alone here is almost seen as asking for it by going around alone at night (and seen as having an uncaring family to protect them). Even in the day time a woman walking, riding her bicycle, whatever, in a secluded area, is asking for trouble. Rape is a [b']very[/b] common occurance/crime in Thailand. Warn any tourist women you meet here and explain that this is a huge problem in Thailand and to take precautions and be aware.

If it was possible to see statistics on the rape problem in Thailand I am sure it would be a huge shocking number (and that would just be the reported rapes, many go unreported for many reasons - one being the rapists telling the victim if they go to the police they will be killed). I hear about this again and again here. It is a prevelent problem here.

You want to know how bad it is? Ask a Thai woman you know. They'll tell you how bad it is.

Indeed, it is a huge problem. Ask any Thai BG how she lost her virginity...in my experience some 40-60% were raped by boys in their village when they were a teenager...or younger.

Over the years, at least a 1/2 dozen girls have told me they were raped by someone close to them, a boss or someone they trusted. All 6 told me that was why they became whores "...I already not virgin, so I go to BKK get paid for same..."

Wow! Some interesting info here. Even though I kinda expected something like that, I was not imagining that rape was prevalent at such extent in Thailand. It seems so going against what one would usually think about Thai people, allegedly nice and policed. Is there some sort of rampant genders-war going on in Thai society?

Good points made about those soap-operas, what the fark are they thinking? But also why don't Thai women (notably the educated ones) voice some resounding disapproval?

good replies here all around to depict how rape & general violence, traffic accidents or murders etc are more common than what it may appear, but yeah if watching the soaps be it prime time or later it's a dangerously accurate view of the situation behind the TAT frontlines :rolleyes:

so no I don't blame or wish for the white girl's fate merely point out that based on info it was a typical incident waiting to happen given the unlucky circumstances :(

umm which country actually promotes its dark sides in official or unofficial guides or marketing? like crime stats, dark side society issues etc?

but yeah probably LOS as opposed to say Brazil, Columbia, South Africa etc have been able to keep a 'smiling surface' for long, but finally it may be fading fast... :hmmm:

ohh as to why all the 'rapists' ain't winded up even if the police could be bothered? well seeing as its so widespread/common where would one even begin or end with this? run a campaign like the 'terror on drugs' thaksin did thrice? I don't think so :rolleyes:

umm which country actually promotes its dark sides in official or unofficial guides or marketing? like crime stats, dark side society issues etc?

but yeah probably LOS as opposed to say Brazil, Columbia, South Africa etc have been able to keep a 'smiling surface' for long, but finally it may be fading fast... :hmmm:

When went to LOS the first time, I read the Lonely Planet guide which gave good basic information about the scams going on, how to behave, e.g.

But until now I had never heard that LOS is *that* dangerous for women.

kamui,

I'm afraid various guidebooks like LP ain't as accurate as could be wished, but if I'm not mistaken the SEA LP guide does mention about females needing to be 'culturally aware' about their dressing in order not to provoke more sensitive asian countries particularly muslim dominated malaysia nearby, but also LOS...

However a better guide would perhaps be the foreign office travel warnings from e.g. the UK or your home country which would actually list the stats of common crimes as e.g. rapes, murders, drink spikings, robberies etc.

so actually it seems as if you expect 'someone' to inform you of this particular 'rape risk' when you book your first trip to LOS is it? :hmmm:

well maybe best stay at home...

Archived