Rio gets the Olympics

Flashermac

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I thought the female talent on Copacabana was extremely dissappointing.

My first memory of Copacabana was walking along the beach with my wife. Some topless hottie who was laying on the beach smiled at me as we walked past. I smiled back, then looked down her body a little further toward her Speedos and noticed she had a hard on. The hookers that bother you on the street are hideous as well but, the so called "normal girls" can be pretty good looking.

Perfect place for some extra judicial killings it looks like. Fucking hell! Animals, violent ones, marauding on the beaches and at stop lights. Should be fun for all the tourists at the Olympics. :(:shifty::down:

Extra judicial killings...if you mean the authorities will do whatever necessary to stage a peaceful looking Olympics, then I agree. They have a big cleanup job to do.

The funny thing is' date=' that many Americans were actually happy that Chicago lost.

Strange. :surprised:[/quote']

Could it possibly have something to do with how it got it's name "The Windy City"

I read that many Chigacoans didn't want the Olympics. Of course absolutely nothing to do with it been know as the Windy City but because of the amount of public money that was going to be needed to fund it.

My guess is it came down to adding some variety in the venue of the Olympics. America has had it a few times. Most recently in Atlanta in 1996. Has there been a country that has hosted it more times? Europe will have it in 2012 via London. The Olympics have been in Europe several times.

Other than Mexico City in '68, I can't think of the last Olympics in South Amrerica (and Mexcio is technically north america). Asia had Japan/Korea and most recently China. South America and Africa are next up and with South Africa hosting the World Cup and no other country or potential partnerships in Africa having the means to pull it off presently, my guess it was a no brainer to give it to Brazil. I have a feeling had Buenes Aires made a bid they'd have gotten it as well.

Will more or less tourists be murdered during the Rio Olympics verse SA World Cup? :hmmm:

“The security problem is very serious,†said Carlos Langoni, a former central bank president and finance chief of the organizing committee for the World Cup 2014, which Brazil will host. “The city’s transportation infrastructure also needs major work but the government is committed and will tackle these issues.â€Â

[color:red]Rio is one of the most violent cities in the world[/color], according to a ranking by Web site RealClearWorld. Home to about 7 million people, it recorded 2,069 murders last year compared with 510 in Chicago, a city of 2.8 million and a finalist contender for the games. [color:red]The police commit one in five of the murders[/color], according to the United Nations high commissioner for Human Rights.

:yikes:

Stray bullets from rival drug gangs battling to control more than 1,000 shantytowns ringing the so-called “Marvelous City†claim dozens of lives each year, police say. The gangs often stop traffic along the main airport road to steal money and cell phones. So-called flash-kidnappings -- where victims are taken to ATMs to withdraw cash -- are also common, the security secretariat says.

Bloomberg

I have a feeling what we'll see is a huge crackdown several months before the Olympics. They'll violate a few rights to do it. Make 'arrangements' with the more sophisticated organizations not to conduct public acts of crime during the games. A combination of call for patriotism as well as pragmatism.

Its happened before. China and Los Angeles both moved a lot of people. LA moved a ton of homeless into a certain quarters in 1984. Street gangs were put on notice about drive bys and such. My understanding is that police said to squash it during the games or be dealt with way beyond present measures. I went to a church that had some cops there and the word got out to the gangs. The city also had a sense of pride and wanted to be good hosts. I heard from some south central residents that they didn't want to appear in a bad light so everyone calmed down at the time.

I have a suspicion Rio and the government at large will have the city safer than it has been for a while, maybe ever.

Archived