TJ, owner Coyote's found dead

STFORME

Heavens Above,Carousel,Dollhouse Bangkok,and Firehouse in Phucket.

I remember him from the Dollhouse, but the Firehouse in Patong was the first Thailand bar I ever went to, only because I reckoned it was the same ownership as the one in Ermita that I liked. That was 1997.

So now I know your justification for hanging out at LA Cafe in Ermita. :yay:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which begs the question...just why aren't they reporting it?

Right. They're not usually very shy to report anything that involves death, no matter if they have any facts to report or not and no matter that they will never follow up on the story; if it was important enough to print as a news event then you'd think it's also important enough to follow up.. Journalism in Thailand.

The western press in Pattaya are in the pockets of the people in power here. Mayor what's-his-name, son of the godfather of Chonburi (now on the lam after getting out of jail after his conviction for murder), is constantly having his virtues extolled in the local press.

Recently on the local news tv channel, they've been showing the mayor singing the George Harrison song 'Imagine.' They then go on to say something like "Mayor what's-his-name is not only the absolute best mayor for our city, but is also a superstar!"

Truly disgusting. I love Thailand, but things like this make me sick.

The following is a synopsis (my interpretation) of what I read on another board in several different posts over several months.

Coyotte's was apprently not doing very well and the two partners (TJ being one) closed Coyotte for "remodeling". But, it seems the real reason was to have an excuse to get rid of many staff that the owners were dissatisfied with.

When Coyotte was reopened, very little remodeling had been done but, new staff was in place.

Apparently, the prior manager and mamasan told the police that underage ladies had been employed. TJ was arrested and posted bail but was facing jail time.

So, from what I read, TJ was found in a hotel and many suspect he had committed suicide.

Again, this is my interpretation of what I have read and I can't guarantee either the accuracy of what I read or my interpretation.

As to lack of publicity, I have no idea how "news" can be suppressed. But, certainly, there nothing in this scenario that would be anything but negative for Pattaya and tourism if publicized.

I will just add that many posters on this other board knew TJ and had only good things to say about him.

Why should they? Yet another suicide in Pattaya, sadly like so many others. That the guy was the manager of a go-go makes the story more interesting for some, but does not warrant news coverage. When was the last time you read about a suicide in the western press? Except for celebrities they are never mentioned, and even then they often keep a lid on the story.

Paillote

Why should they? Yet another suicide in Pattaya' date=' sadly like so many others. That the guy was the manager of a go-go makes the story more interesting for some, but does not warrant news coverage. When was the last time you read about a suicide in the western press? Except for celebrities they are never mentioned, and even then they often keep a lid on the story.

Paillote[/quote']

Firstly, different countries have different rules how to deal with suicide in media. Japan for example is publishing suicides regularly whilst it is a kind of taboo in German media (except for high profile suicides).

Secondly, you'll find much 'less interesting' deaths in Pattaya media, like the detailed account about a German tourist, who died by natural causes in his hotel room Link. In this context the death of a well known person in the P4P area (by regular tourists and expats alike) is much more interesting and definitely newsworthy. Especially with the background information which is coming up at the moment.

Nail firmly hit one the head there Mr K, anyone who has ever spent a reasonable amount of time in Pattaya would understand the competisness between the competing englishlanguage media outlets and their willingness to resort to Thai style reporting tactics.

I imagine most people on this board had met TJ at some time or other. :(

From Pattaya Today, 31 Aug 2009

In the wars: Talking of raids, you have to feel some sympathy for the embattled TJ, the owner of the Coyotees ogling den (Soi Marina Plaza, off Walking Street). In the early hours of Saturday morning 21 August police from the Immigration Department, no doubt acting on information, raided the den. They found two under-age employees and a Cambodian national who did not possess a work permit and carted them as well as TJ and a number of dancing damsels off to the cop shop to answer some tough questions.

The peelers also had photographic evidence of rooms upstairs being used for short periods by over-excited customers and willing wallet emptiers.

Coyotees has gone through much in the way of change in recent months, from ownership and partnership problems, to an unenforced but necessary closure after allegations of extreme impropriety were uncovered among the staff. Coyotees was one of the better dens around, although a number of people complained about the avaricious nature of the wallet emptiers. It just looked to be regaining some momentum with a reasonably attractive brace of chrome pole shufflers engaged when this raid took place. It’s not as if there aren’t more nightlife joints of all descriptions employing ladies whose ID card shows them to be up to a couple of years shy of 18 or others who don’t have anything resembling a Thai ID card and instead have crossed from Cambodia to find gainful employment. It’s just Coyotees has drawn the short straw.

I imagine most people on this board had met TJ at some time or other. :(

From Pattaya Today, 31 Aug 2009

It’s not as if there aren’t more nightlife joints of all descriptions employing ladies whose ID card shows them to be up to a couple of years shy of 18 or others who don’t have anything resembling a Thai ID card and instead have crossed from Cambodia to find gainful employment. It’s just Coyotees has drawn the short straw.

Don't want to piss on this guys grave. I did not know him, never met him, etc., but at the same time, it sounds like he was hardly a candidate for canonization. If what was alleged was true, then the guy was just another pimp pushing under-aged girls and illegal immigrants. Hardly qualifies him for "good guy" status in my book.

If he was innocent of the charges, then perhaps he was a good guy and deserves to be mourned.

Firstly, different countries have different rules how to deal with suicide in media....

So what is your point? There is a conspiracy not to mention this suicide by the newspapers? Get over it. They find suicides not newsworthy, and thats it. The guy might be well among some of you, but he was definitely no celebrity.

Paillote

Archived