Lowest Point of a Very Low Season

Gadfly

It must exist, and I am wondering if it was last Friday. A Friday night when, if you counted the number of customers in the bars frequented by Farangs at, say, 10 p.m., you would have the lowest number of customers for the past year, or maybe past five years.

Hard to measure, but as a simple matter of definition it must exist. Although I didn't try in any sense to measure it, this is what I saw on Friday night. From about 9:30 p.m. to shortly after 10:30 p.m., two friends and I visited three bars in Nana (Playskool, Rainbow 3 and G Spot), and for most of the time we were in these bars, we were the only customers in those bars. I can remember Friday nights when it was hard to find a seat in these bars at this time on a Friday night, at least a decent seat. The BGs in these bars outnumbered the customers by more than 10 to 1. Other bars in Nana and Soi Cowboy seemed very quiet, although nothing as dramatic as what we saw in those three bars.

I have never seen it this quiet.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funnily enough, the two bars in Nana that I visited gave the impression that Nana was busy. I was in Angelwitch from around 9:45 - 11:30 on Friday and it was packed. I went into Spanky's afterwards and that was very busy too.

I had come up from Cowboy earlier in the evening and thought trade was down.

We didn't go to either Spanky's or AngelWitch, so I can't speak to how well they are doing. But I can't imagine a bar like G Spot being empty on a Friday night five years ago. Maybe the trade is getting more concentrated in a few bars. To me, however, it does seem like a very low low season, meaning good for visitors.

Next time I am out, I will try to remember to make an effort to visit Spanky's and AngelWitch. I haven't been in the former since it was owned by the Arab.

Friday night must have set some low point record for Soi 4 overall. One telling thing I noticed was when we parked at the Raja Hotel about 9:30, there were several open spots. I cannot remember the last time there were open spots at that time on a Friday night.

TH

Archived