Windows 7 Center

unit731

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Removing BING from Windows 7.

I installed Windows 7 this weekend. It works fine so far except for very annoying thing. The default search provider "Bing" in IE explorer can't be changed easily. I think Microsoft don't want people using Google so they make it difficult. I did a google search to try to solve this problem and there are lots of sites and blogs complaining about the same problem.

The computer I installed it in is brand new with only DOS installed. The problem is after installation, when you start up, first of all a pop up message appears saying that a program has corrupted your default search provider, click here to fix it. It takes you to "Manage Search Providers" box. You are supposed to be able to click select Bing and then hit remove but remove is greyed out. You are also supposed to be able to put other search providers in (which you can), and then choose it as your default. The default button is hilighted but nothing happens, so as far as Microsoft are concerned you are stuck with Bing as the default.

However, I accidentaly found a way to remove Bing, by just by chance I downloaded and installed google toolbar, after which the remove bing button became operative. I now have google as the default search provider but still get the pop up message saying that it's been corrupted.

Has anybody else dealt successfully with this problem? I'll phone Msoft support this week to get it sorted.

Archived