Windows 7 Center

unit731

If you upgrade to 4GB RAM and disable the virtual memory you'll notice some boost.

You are sure your Chipset will support 4GB RAM? Within the last weeks I had two guys (in another forum) complaining because Win7 64bit reports only 3.25GB after installing 4GB. Problem was the older Intel Chipset (one was Intel 945GC) that only supports up to 3.25GB.

The chipset on this PC is nVidia MCP61P Single Chipset. Supposedly, it's been tested to 4GB.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ordered an OEM version from Amazon Germany ;) and received Windows 7 on Nov. 18 already. I guess something went wront at Amazon.de...

I'm pissed. Amazon states that it is shipped with tracking number. Yet nothing shows up at tracking site.

If I didn't live in hill and mountain country far far in the woods and forests - I'd travel down to nearest retail store and purchase it.

It's not like I ordered this yesterday. They got a couple months to think about it and get ready.

Hold on. The dog is barking (again).

527.gif

I looked at this i-mac 27 inch.

Can you explain difference with quad core ???

What will quad core do for me if I went for one.

The simple answer is that quad core is faster than dual core. Three years ago or so single processors reached their limit (overheating). Recent generations were dual core, current new generation is quad core. Snow Leopard is already optimized for quad core, but I don't know about productivity software like MS Office or Photoshop. But I think all new software upgrades will support quad core.

Also the quad core iMac has a better graphics card. I will go for the quad core i5, the i7 is too expensive and only necessary if you working on movies or something similar.

Hamokhamok,

lots of info about dual core vs. quad core on the net. It might be worth googling for it.

a short summary:

if you run lots of progs at one time quad core does have advantages. if you run software that is written to take advantage of multiple cores, e.g. video editing software, quad core has advantages.

otherwise you wouldn't notice a difference. Then it might be better to choose a cheaper dual core with higher frequency (which is still cheaper than the quad core and mostly consumes less power) over a quad core with a lower frequency.

if in doubt and price difference is not an issue go for quad core.

kamui,

I've seen the price tag. Ouch.

I've got an 24" monitor and lately saw an 28" monitor (only HD resolution unlike the 27" iMac) for less than 300 euro. I was tempted but managed to convince myself into not buying it. distance between me and the monitor would be too short.

kamui,

I've seen the price tag. Ouch.

I've got an 24" monitor and lately saw an 28" monitor (only HD resolution unlike the 27" iMac) for less than 300 euro. I was tempted but managed to convince myself into not buying it. distance between me and the monitor would be too short.

Yes, Mac's are expensive! Compared to cars it is like buying a BMW or Mercedes, you'll pay a premium for the quality, the design and simply for the the image of the maker. A Fiat 500 would do the job as well but with much less comfort...

Since I spend around 80 hours a week in front of PC (at work and at home) I decided for the superior machine.

Also, I guess that if you compare the TCO of a Mac and an upperclass Windows PC

- PC: the maintenance hours and yearly investments in firewall/malware scanner software, versus Mac: superior backup solution, no maintenance, no additional security software (yet), superior OS -

in the end Mac's are not that expensive.

By the way, I just had to reinstall two of the boss's home PC's, because they where completely infested with malware. This took in total ca. 12-15 hours:

backups in advance (itunes, e.g.), clean install of windows XP/ win7, adding new partitions to the Hd, moving the data, downloading/installing 38!!! files device drivers for the Lenovo Notebook, changing personal file settings, installing all the productivity/entertainment software, getting the WLAN printer running...

After 20 years of working with Windows I am so tired of all the trouble which comes with the OS.

Macs just work and are much more pleasant to work with. :up:

Archived