Windows 7 Center

unit731

I ran the Win 7 upgrade advisor and it found several compatibility problems, mostly software.

There are many many compatibility issues still w/ Vista even -- it's an ongoing thing -- before the probs are resolved another OS is intorduced w/ still more issues....

On second thought, I'll probably upgrade my Win XP premium 32 bit PC to Win 7 64 bit, since this PC has a quad-core processor, and upgrade the memory from 2 GB to 4 GB. Hopefully, the performance boost will outweigh the initial cost and compatibility issues.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kamui,

there's still lots of hardware around that's not compatible with vista and Win7, or at least not compatible with the 64bit versions. Lots of Wlan cards and Wlan USB dongles aren't supported.

These are exceptions compared to the high percentage of hardware that is compatible.

unit,

that's you can watch the early adopters howl in pain over the forgotten issues...

actually I'm running Win7 professional 64bit since july 14th. No real problems since Nvidia got it's drivers for my mainboards chipset solved.

- some older hardware doesn't work. was expected, hardware didn't work with vista 64 bit either. And i'm not talking of important hardware like mainboards, chipsets, video cards or drive controllers.

- the virtual XP mode isn't that great. For my needs I am better off with a dual boot system.

Hey, did you order retail version or system builder? You may cancel your order if you can't wait.

unit,

Hey, did you order retail version or system builder? You may cancel your order if you can't wait.

Amazon stated that order cannot be cancelled at the time I previously posted. Now Amazon states that it is shipped. But the tracking number does not register yet.

Not really in a hurry. I just felt 'violated' as I pre-bought and figured that once it was released it would be shipped same day.

If you upgrade to 4GB RAM and disable the virtual memory you'll notice some boost.

You are sure your Chipset will support 4GB RAM? Within the last weeks I had two guys (in another forum) complaining because Win7 64bit reports only 3.25GB after installing 4GB. Problem was the older Intel Chipset (one was Intel 945GC) that only supports up to 3.25GB.

unit' date='

Hey, did you order retail version or system builder? You may cancel your order if you can't wait.[/quote']

Amazon stated that order cannot be cancelled at the time I previously posted. Now Amazon states that it is shipped. But the tracking number does not register yet.

Not really in a hurry. I just felt 'violated' as I pre-bought and figured that once it was released it would be shipped same day.

Ordered an OEM version from Amazon Germany ;) and received Windows 7 on Nov. 18 already. I guess something went wront at Amazon.de...

Archived