Windows 7 Center

unit731

When you got the PC working the way you desire, do a disk image using Norton Ghost or the like.

Do regular backups.

Then, when you do a reinstall it will take far less time. YMMV.

A crash of the OS is not a big problem for me. It's just a few hours to get a Mac running again - but losing critical data like our data base would cause huge losses for our company.

By the way, what does a "regular back up" mean to you? Monthly? Weekly? Daily? Hourly?

I use Time Machine , which is a part of the Mac OS, to back up all changed/new data automatically at night (default interval is hourly). And Time Machine allows me to recover all data with a few mouse clicks including many previous versions of each file from a certain span of time (timeframe depends on the size of the backup disk, I use a 1 TB Time Capsule).

If you visit a Mac user with OSX.5 (Leopard or Snow Leopard) ask him/her to show you how Time Machine works. There is no equivalent to the simplicity of the set up and ease of use in the Windows world. Once set up (can be done by your grandma) it runs automatically.

Time Machine combined with a second backup solution (I use Jungle Disk) keeps your data available even in case of the failure of your hard disk or in case even bigger disasters (fire, flooding, robbery, angry girl friend, what ever).

That's what I meant, when I wrote that the TCO (total cost of ownership) in the end is not much higher for a Mac than for a PC. Even one small disaster avoided - like recovering a crashed Excel file you worked on for days (like it happened to me recently) using Time Machine - will easily compensate for the loss of time and money needed to recreate the file because you didn't have a backup solution with 'file versioning'.

PS: We use even a third back up solution, like recommended by many IT professionals. IMHO backup costs of around 200-300 USD a year is not much money compared to a major loss of data which in the worst case could ruin a company.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Backups depend on the value of the data you are backing up.

For me, not that much "mission critical" so once a month backup is OK.

Using Ghost, my PC backs up to a USB external 1Tb hard drive, all automatic, in the wee hours of the night. No fuss, no mess.

Ghost has a "explorer" that can extract a single file from the backup.

Having never used a Mac, can't say it is better, same or worse then a PC, but that is just me.

What you say sounds OK.

I have seen RAID systems that people use for backups, but so far, my data is not so critical.

I upgraded from Vista to 7 and it's much faster than Vista. Much faster. All programs and hardware work great, including Photoshop 7.0, which is probably 10 years old. Finally Bill and company get it right.

Did you just upgrade or re-install 7?

Well, I finally received my Windows 7 upgrade.

Yet to do it though as I dread any "issues".

I'll do it when I have 4-6 "spare" hours to kill.

527.gif

What? I'm quoting myself again.

Well, it's done. Windows 7 Upgrade. All worked smoothly.

My 2003 Epson C60 printer still works.

Only issue was that I lost sound in AOL. Found a fix and now got sound. It was sound in AOL only. All other sound worked.

Yes, I still use AOL and Hotmail and Yahoo and Gmail.

Archived