Will 'The Galt' go to jail?

Central Scrutinizer

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did the Gary Glitter case get any coverage in the US? All Galt needs is one intrepid reporter to get the ball rolling but he'll have to get a hefty prison sentence first.

Odd, I find myself agreeing with CW, or rather CW is agreeing with me.

I am wondering how many members here have attended a FCCT meeting? I recall one this year where the specific issue of the use and misuse of criminal defamation claims against Thais was discussed, and the opinion from CNN, BBC, The Economist and every other member of the press was pretty much the same and crystal clear. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what they thought of criminal defamation.

This should be treated as a civil matter, but if it is not, it will make the press, It won't be front page of the New York Times, but it will make the mainstream press. It won't take much research for a reporter to put this in the larger context (it doesn't matter whether you think it belongs there or not because the press does) of prohibitions on expession in Thailand.

The Embassy has made of point of having Americans transferred to U.S. prisons to serve out their terms when convicted of crimes in Thailand. How is that going to work here with an American convicted of defamation?

Yes, the U.S. has bigger problems, but that doesn't mean this isn't a problem.

I think it will make the press because the issue here isn't Galt. Americans in the U.S. don't go to jail for making disparging comments about property developers or Stickman or whatever. The press (and I agree with them on this) don't like it when people go to jail for something they have said. You can understand why.

Adding fuel to the fire' date=' Thailand doesn't have a good reputation in this area. Reporters Without Borders recently gave it a bad rating, and now this on the The Times in the U.K. As unsympathetic as Galt may be, a theme is developing.

I still disagree. If you follow the reports on LOS you will always find a similar pattern: If something terrible happens to a punter/sexpat it only makes local news and does not find any echo in international media, not even in the media of the punter's home country. Even if he is murdered it is swept under the carpet more often than not.

If something much less terrible - like going to jail for 48 hours for stealing a foot mat - is happening to a female tourist (preferably young and/or with kids), it can make world news under the right circumstances.

By any means Galt is neither a naive unsuspecting tourist nor not a highly reputed member of the Farang business communtiy. He is a sexpat (writing about BG's on his website) and involved in an ongoing internet struggle among sexpats...

Therefore my prediction: international media

A so-called 'sexpat' (aren't we all here having sex with women?) who happens to have a work permit and manufactures turn signals. Well I can't think of many other expats that even have work-permits for their businesses. Instead they choose to 'wifes-name' it or just work under the table (like stick does) ;)

Archived