Will 'The Galt' go to jail?

Central Scrutinizer

Gadfly, you bring up some interesting points. It will be fascinating to watch it play out.

However, I can say as an American living in America, that the minute some reporter digs a little and uncovers Galt's writings about the Thai nightlife (remember the post about virgins? the one about condoms?)--or worse, some of the false rumors spread by Stick loyalists during the flame wars-- they will abandon the story. The snap judgement of most Americans will be that it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Sex tourists are the dregs of society.

He's too unsympathetic (by feminist western standards) to make an appropriate protagonist for a freedom of expression storyline.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gadfly, you bring up some interesting points. It will be fascinating to watch it play out.

However, I can say as an American living in America, that the minute some reporter digs a little and uncovers Galt's writings about the Thai nightlife --or worse, some of the false rumors spread by Stick loyalists during the flame wars-- they will abandon the story. The snap judgement of most Americans will be that it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Sex tourists are the dregs of society.

He's too unsympathetic (by feminist western standards) to make an appropriate protagonist for a freedom of expression storyline.

Well said Tiki.

I guess we have reach an impasse. One side thinks that it will make international news, because of the strange Thail laws, the other side thinks that it won't because of Galts public statements and his damaged reputation.

Only the future will show how the story will play out. And in case Galt is not sentenced to jail, no one outside certain forums will care anyway.

tiki: "they will abandon the story"

I do agree but they will followup with a related story about other players in this drama. This is what I believe the galt to be doing. He is willing to take one on the chin to bring in major attention to the situation. Once he has the right people looking his way he will play the part of the matador stepping to the side and leading them to a juicier story.

Gadfly' date=' you bring up some interesting points. It will be fascinating to watch it play out.

However, I can say as an American living in America, that the minute some reporter digs a little and uncovers Galt's writings about the Thai nightlife --or worse, some of the false rumors spread by Stick loyalists during the flame wars-- they will abandon the story. The snap judgement of most Americans will be that it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Sex tourists are the dregs of society.

He's too unsympathetic (by feminist western standards) to make an appropriate protagonist for a freedom of expression storyline.[/quote']

Well said Tiki.

I guess we have reach an impasse. One side thinks that it will make international news, because of the strange Thail laws, the other side thinks that it won't because of Galts public statements and his damaged reputation.

I'd place myself midpoint on that continuum. If you refer to a generic 'American' audience, it's fickle and unpredictable -- with a short memory and attention span. But it's also sympathetic many times when you don't expect it (see: Larry Flynt).

Still, because this takes place in an exotic locale your average American perceives as archaic and knows little about, it makes it more difficult for the story to have teeth (in a general public sense). But, like I said, unpredictable.

Only the future will show how the story will play out. And in case Galt is not sentenced to jail, no one outside certain forums will care anyway.

That, sir, is a pretty damn good summation.

If Galt "worked" for Wade, wouldn't that violate his work permit? Seems you wouldn't want to publish that in a public forum if you had any sense. :dunno:

Well working without a permit is a grey area if you can argue that a Thai can't do it and it involves being hands-off.

This isn't going to matter jack right now. Remember this is just a bunch of guys on computers giving their opinions on whats been going on.

The issue is Wade vs Galt.

The issue of work permits would be a bad line for Wade to take due to it impacting on his case ;)

Kind of like you jump I take you with me, you dig?

However, I can say as an American living in America, that the minute some reporter digs a little and uncovers Galt's writings about the Thai nightlife (remember the post about virgins? the one about condoms?)--or worse, some of the false rumors spread by Stick loyalists during the flame wars-- they will abandon the story. The snap judgement of most Americans will be that it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Sex tourists are the dregs of society.

Maybe 20 years ago it would. But people are lot more hardened to that sort of thing.

You've also got the fact of the real-estate 'king' here in LOS (Clayton) being a part of an industry that nearly broke the back of the USAs banking industry.

There's not much love lost between the USA public and them now.

Archived