Will 'The Galt' go to jail?

Central Scrutinizer

Work permit or not, that's expat talk. Do you really think international media are interested in such details?

What I meant is: for all those stories about (previously outside LOS unknown) people in trouble almost always carry a strong emotional human factor, like Women with children left behind, grandparents worrying at home, friends holding vigils, whatever) which is appealing to the general media audience.

Neither Galt nor even most of us other punters fall into the innocent, human factor group. Otherwise Western media would be full of horror stories about deadly Pattaya, mortal to dozens of tourists who happen to take a room on an upper floor in Patty - reported by a blonde newscaster with a grave, almost emotionally shaking voice. :shocked:

On the contrary, Galt left a looong trail of strange comments about his life, other expats, Thai authorities, which I am sure, will be forwarded to any reporter working on this story.

In the end Galt will be just another weirdo who happens to end in an Asian jail for reasons hard to explain to a Western audience... (But I guess the story will end with just a fine anyway - as long as Galt isn't keeping on insulting Thai authorities)

I wonder if expats like you or Gadfly are actually too close to the story, for not to see that Galt's fate is of no interest at all for anybody outside the Thai expat/punter scene.

PS: my last post was incomplete. I had a sudden visitor at the office and just hit the submit button... :content:

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A way out of all this for Summers would be to have himself declared ( and his turn-signals ) as world cultural heritage , switch off his website , keep on selling useless things on ebay and enjoy the occasional free shag whereever he is currently living . But this is not enough for him which is his problem .

A BuBi quality analysis

If this does blow up...galt gets overlooked as soon as stickman - teacher - naughty nightlife goer - gets a good look.

Nobody in the western media is going to overlook that combination.

Once stick gets a good going over say goodbye to all forums and nightlife styled blogs. Too much work, not enough revenue, not worth the impending risk.

Paid membership sites may be okay....I say again...this is a disaster.

If something much less terrible - like going to jail for 48 hours for stealing a foot mat - is happening to a female tourist (preferably young and/or with kids), it can make world news under the right circumstances.

a door mat ? I believe it was a beer mat ?

just in the name of correctness.....

BB

You right that the media could care less about Galt. I also don't think they were interested in the personal particulars of the Aussie that was deported on LM charges.

What will interest them is if Galt goes to jail because of what he said about a property developer or Stickman. That is the story. And the story develops in a context where people have gone to jail on LM charges for what they said and two (possibly three) may be charged for violating the cyber-crime act. It doesn't matter what you think about Galt or the Aussie.

Whether you agree with it or not, the press has a natural antipathy towards criminal defamation, LM or any law where someone goes to jail for what they said. And if you think about the press does, this makes perfect sense.

I will bet Baht to Satang that if Galt wrote what he wrote in San Diego rather than Thaiand - no matter how obnoxious - there weren't be a snowball's chance in hell of anyone even considering criminal prosecution. It just wouldn't be an option.

Yes, respect other cultures, but when you start to put people in jail of what they said, particuarly an American, the press will notice. That is why this is an interesting post. I don't think Galt is particularly interesting, but the clash of values about freedom of expression is fascinating, and the clash between Western and Thai values about freedom of expression is playing out now in the Western press (it made the Wall Street Journal, BBC, etc.) In this sense, Galt could luck out on timing.

Archived