Entering the oil business aged 40+

I was speaking to a person the other day, they were telling me that they were going to go on a 6 month ( drilling course ), that would mean they could work in oil and gas.

Are they being ripped off? It just didnt ring true, surely all the manual jobs on oil rigs now are done by third world people, in the main.

And all management jobs are done by skilled graduates with many years experience?

Is this person deluded thinking he can break in to oil and gas aged 40+

STH

My mate did a "sat" diver's course that cost him about $40,000 a few years back and has been making mega dollars ever since. He was about 35 at the time.

Another guy we both know went down to Singapore to do a much less expensive course in rig occ. health and safety but never ended up getting a job. He was well over 40.

I suppose it's like a lottery, with the older you are the less chance of winning.

My compnay recently ran a recruitment campaign for a major Middle East Oil and Gas company and they only wanted South Americans on very low wages to live in dorms (all the usual benefits sadly lacking)

We were totally swamped with applicants so any westerner whom I assume STH is refering to would struggle to get a manual job in Oil and Gas at any age never made after these six month or more conversion courses.

A six month course would NOT be for the bottom rung rig manual worker... if it's legit.

There are companies such as Maersk who do recruit and 'fast track' people to move up fast through the drilling ranks to be an OIM (Offshore Installation Manager) or similar as quick as possible - but as to recruiting 40+ year olds for those positions, would be quite another issue.

If it's not a course directly with a drilling company, then it would be very hit and lots of miss whether it would be any use....

Coops

I cannot comment on the policy of other companies but the company I am currently with have the following rankings.

1. Western Degree > 15 Years Oil and Gas Experience

2. Western Degree < 15 Years Oil and Gas Experience

3. Western Non-Degree > 20 Years Oil and Gas Experience.

4 Non-Western Degree > 15 Years Oil and Gas Experience

5 Non-Western Degree < 15 Years Oil and Gas Experience

Even at 45 I am one of the younger ones on the Projet Team.

Agree with Mekong thats the approach of most if not all the companies, the Oil and Gas industry is awash with very qualified unemployed engineers.

The chances of anyone be they Taxi Drivers, or other unskilled, semi skilled or skilled non engineers or engineers doing a conversion course or trying to break into the industry are very limited indeed.

Manual unskilled = low pay, crap benefits = third world labour

Skilled = high pay = good benefits etc but needs the experience and quals

Had a barfly friend here in OZ do several short term courses, the longest one was for a week.

He is desperate to get the 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off that these oil rig people enjoy so he can fly over to LOS each month for sanuk.

He is a skinny feminine type - could not bruise the top of a custard tart if he started swinging.

Well blow me down, he got a job offer last week, oil and gas in south east Queensland. Now, if he sticks it out for a year (now he his in the trade) maybe he may score an offshore oil rig job in Asia.

PS. He is 40 this year.

40+ is a bit old start in a new field that requires manual labor such as working on a rig. Most guys by that age have been doing it a while and they don’t have to do the heavy work for long periods of time like the young guys. They tend to run the pumps, winches and such. If your friend is healthy and fit, he might could get away with it.

Not something I would want to try, I gave up on manual labor 25 years ago.

TH

I was speaking to a person the other day, they were telling me that they were going to go on a 6 month ( drilling course ), that would mean they could work in oil and gas.

Are they being ripped off? It just didnt ring true, surely all the manual jobs on oil rigs now are done by third world people, in the main.

And all management jobs are done by skilled graduates with many years experience?

Is this person deluded thinking he can break in to oil and gas aged 40+

STH

Well I broke into the North Sea oil and gas game in my late 20s and I think that was pretty lucky.

I'm also in the construction side of it and not the drilling. Drilling is a harder job (usually) compared to construction.

40+ making a break out in LOS is a monumental struggle putting it lightly.

Promotion for offshore drill crews is tough and it's dog-eat-dog.

They are the roughest crowd of worker offshore and your face has got to fit and be accepted.

Once you get your foot in the door it gets easier. But until that day it could be a long wait for work.

Getting all this work out in Thailand is nearly impossible. They'd want you to have the experience first before coming out here.

Even then you almost always need to know someone first.

It's nepotism and unfair but they make it that way to keep out the assh*les and people they feel wouldn't be right for working out there with them.

The manual jobs are usually done by locals BUT for drill-crews it's usually less of a case. Especially if its the senior positions like driller, tool-pusher and so on.

http://www.divinglore.com/Offshore_Drill_Crews.htm

Any members currently doing these courses,how was it sold to you, do you really think you can get a month on month off rotation in Oil and Gas with a high salary.

Anyone done it lately following a conversion or other course.

My interest it that I write a quarterly report on global recruitment for Oil and Gas majors so would be very intersted to hear any success stories, salaries etc

Archived