Paranormal Activity in Bangkok

Mike Goodtime

When I lived up north, I once asked the students to tell me about superstitions. I got a stack of them - enough that I later wrote a feature for the Bangkok Post about them. I tried the same writing assignment with Bangkok university students. I discovered that city kids don't know diddly squat about Thai superstitions. In fact, they don't know much about anything, unless they've seen it on the TV :dunno:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HonoluluJimmy

I had a BG who claimed the room was haunted! She said thatg all night the covers keep moving up 1 meter. She was very supprised to see that it was merely me sporting a woody!

Lot of Thais believe in ghosts....

Really?

My wife does for one :o

My girlfriend does also. That is why she leaves lights and airconditioners on all over the place. It may be a little know fact that Thai ghosts are afraid of lights and cold air.

The first time a friend went to his girlfriends village near Buri Ram he and the girlfriend went through a ceremony where some monks wrapped them (and everything else in the area) with string. He thought that it was a local marriage for the family to save face since they were unmarried and lived in the same house. A few years later they were asked to go through the same ceremony and when he reminded them that the ceremony had already been done they told him that the ceremony was to drive away spirits that they had possibly brought along from Bangkok. He was happy to find out that he was a batchelor again.

zen

Of course, not just Thais. Link

Women are more likely to say they believe in ghosts than are men: 56 percent of women believe, while 38 percent of men do. More than half of younger Americans aged 18 to 45 believe in ghosts; those over 45 are less likely.

More than one in five Americans says they have seen a ghost themselves, or have felt themselves to be in the presence of one. :reindeer:

It may be a little know fact that Thai ghosts are afraid of lights and cold air.

That would explain why one thai bird I slept with recently in a rundown old hotel wanted to turn the aircon to full and then shiver under the blanket. She told me she was scared in the room :dunno:

My girlfriend does also. That is why she leaves lights and airconditioners on all over the place. It may be a little know fact that Thai ghosts are afraid of lights and cold air.

The first time a friend went to his girlfriends village near Buri Ram he and the girlfriend went through a ceremony where some monks wrapped them (and everything else in the area) with string. He thought that it was a local marriage for the family to save face since they were unmarried and lived in the same house. A few years later they were asked to go through the same ceremony and when he reminded them that the ceremony had already been done they told him that the ceremony was to drive away spirits that they had possibly brought along from Bangkok. He was happy to find out that he was a batchelor again.

zen

Usually I don't listen to her ghost stories, but an important one is that Thais (who believe in ghosts) will not buy second hand houses: especially if a prior occupant died in the house. His ghost might haunt the place, enough to be scared to live there.

I have been into ghosts, paranormal activity, etc. lately. .....

I've never been _into_ ghosts; do BG's count?

It may benefit you to take heed of some of the many Thai ghostly superstitions:

-Don’t whistle at night because you will invite ghosts into your house.

-Do not joke while you are eating because the ghost will steal your rice

-Do not have sexual intercours on holy days (wan phra) because bad things will happen.

-Do not stand in a doorway because a ghost will enter the house

-Do not sew at night because the ghost will haunt you

-Do not sing while you are eating because the ghost will curse you.

-Do not hit your parents. You will become a very bad ghost.

-Do not take off your clothes or sleep next to the closet. A ghost will come to haunt you.

-Do not tap repeatedly with a spoon or chopsticks on a bowl of rice. Because you are inviting a ghost to come and eat with you.

-Do not cut the wood for the stairs with a knife. Because the ghost will make you fall down the stairs.

-Do not bend down and look between your legs. You will see a ghost.

-Do not put valuable things away at night. The ghost will see and steal it.

-Don't eat before a monk because you will become a bad ghost.

And to feel safe in your research and exploration of ghosts and haunted places, I suggest Mike should have a monk give you a blessing and paint those dots, in a pyramid shape, on your forehead, as well as daily wear a fresh jasmine garland around your neck. No sense in taking chances... :D

Regardless of the above, just have fun in you exploration of the paranormal.

Women who sing when they are eating will become old maids.

Never look in a mirror at night. You may find a ghost looking back at you.

Never get a haircut on a Wednesday. (No one has been able to tell me why, but they all agree it's bad.)

If a woman is combing her hair at night and happens to drop the comb, she shold not pick it up until morning. (Remember what happened to Nang Nak!)

Archived