What ate my gigabyte?

Flashermac

Two days ago, I had about 12 gigabyte used on the C partition on my PC. Yesterday, I discovered it was 39 gig! It almost all seems to be in the Administrator folder, but I can't find it.

What happened, a worm? Malawarebytes finds nothing, nor does my virus scan. I've tried on line virus scans, but both BitDefender and Housecall fail to work. Housecall just quits, and BitDefender runs to about 90% - when it crashes and says it can't contact their site. Effing Thai ISP! :(

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Some possibilities:

- temporary internet files

- downloaded files (e.g. updates to virus scanners)

- log files

Try downloading 'Advanced System Care' and run it. Click the 'Maintain Windows' button and make sure 'Junk Files Clean' is turned on, then run the Scan.

Sanuk!

Ok, in win 7 go to any folder, look at the top for the Organize button thingie, then find 'folder and search options', click on that sucker, go to 'view' and make sure 'show hidden files and folders' is checked.

Then go to the C drive, click on users then administrator and search for the big stuff.

Further investigation: If you uncheck 'hide protected operating system files' in the folder options/view pane, you'll see some temp files win 7 creates in the top level of the C drive. On my system, those files are hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys and they take up 12 gigabytes on their own.

Edit Important! Make sure you hide system files again after you take a look. They are hidden for a reason--if you delete some system file by accident, you may end up destroying your OS.

I don't know any administrator properties folder--I'm guessing you mean the administrator folder and then you got its properties?

Are you logged on as Administrator?

You need to root around inside the administrator folder and find which subfolders contain all that gigage--my main user folder is only about 2 gigs.

I click on the administrator folder and get "administrator properties". :dunno:

I log on as administrator - only one user (me). The folder say it contains 30.1 gigabyte, but when I look at the folders I can't account for more than about 40 megabyte! :confused:

Downloading what KS suggested. Taking a long time on a Thai server. (I'm also downloading the free BitDefender.) I save all downloads in the D drive.

Archived