Netbook Buying Advice

gawguy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Flash Drives Cannot be erased

:rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl:

Surely this should be in the "Jokes Thread"

What I meant is that because of "wear leveling" these solid state drives are not easily erasable. Are you saying it's not as hard as the following:

April 23, 2009

Q. How can I reset a solid state disk (SSD) to a fully erased, clean state?

A. Formatting the file system

and deleting partitions won't do anything to reset an SSD to an erased state with empty blocks. The only way to completely reset an SSD is to use the SSD's built-in secure erase features. The easiest way is via a secure erase freeware utility called HDDErase, which uses your drive's secure erase function to clear the SSD. The utility's documentation doesn't specifically mention SSDs, but it works on them.

You boot from a DOS disk or USB key and run the utility. It will then walk you through the steps to perform the secure erase, which will erase all blocks. Note that to use this tool, your SATA controllers must be in legacy mode. You set legacy mode in the BIOS.

I'm very interested if there is a thorough and simpler method.

Thanks,

GG

This sounds like a DOD security erase, where they write like nine times to the device and erase after every write, thus making any recovery software unable to recover any data...sort of like scratching out a word on a piece of paper, first scratch vertically, then diagonally, etc.

This sounds like a DOD security erase, where they write like nine times to the device and erase after every write, thus making any recovery software unable to recover any data...sort of like scratching out a word on a piece of paper, first scratch vertically, then diagonally, etc.

As I've said before, I have things on my computer that are private and would be embarrassing. Not illegal at all, but just the kind of thing they like to print up in the local farang rags in Thailand which are also available on line. When I use Eraser and do three overwrites on a file on my hard drive, it is as gone as I need it to be. Flash drives allocate data in a much more complex fashion. Also photo cards. Olypmus sells their photo cards with a warning: Even if you reformat the drive your photos are easily retrievable.

GG

... then you should encrypt that data! What if your computer is stolen?

It is encrypted using TrueCrypt. I still might like to erase it or erase the "crypt" file.

I think some people still aren't understanding this:

I'd like to buy at netbook. Some only have SSD's. These are complicated to erase whereas harddrivess are not. Therefore I'd be more comfortable with a netbook that has an HD. What is a good one?

Archived