Netbook Buying Advice

gawguy

And the long awaited Apple tablet, due to be announced at the end of

January, might be worth a look.

Yes, I viewed on the tele one version. Small and all touch screen. Very interesting.

But my guess - is not going to be cheap. But good nonetheless.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the long awaited Apple tablet' date=' due to be announced at the end of

January, might be worth a look.[/quote']

Yes, I viewed on the tele one version. Small and all touch screen. Very interesting.

But my guess - is not going to be cheap. But good nonetheless.

Estimates are 700-1.000 USD...

Why don't I buy for $300 + tax + shipping from Costco online:

Samsung N130-13P

10.1" Netbook

Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz

160gh hd

Up to 5.8 Hours Battery Life

Wireless 802.11b/g/n

What is wrong with it??

GG

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11516492&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|84|78454&N=4041102&Mo=5&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=78454&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

It has XP home and I damned sure don't want W7

It doesn't have a chip set that is capable of smoothly displaying HD video. Is that important to you? :dunno:

Well..I have been watching a Korean serial on my cable internet that is even clear when I expand to full screen. It has a "HD" logo displayed in the corner. I'm not sure I'm really getting HD because computer is Thinkpad T43 made in 2005. But if it has the capable chipset then it is important. What do you think is happening on this system?

Also I don't plan to go to HD in my home, so maybe that is what the chipset is for..watching HD cable TV on computer?

Thanks,

GG

The Thinkpad T43 has a more powerful processor than the Atom N270 and may have a discrete graphics card instead of integrated graphics. When you have a weak processor you need a chipset that can do most of the decode work for HD (integrated graphics).

OK... But I still have a question. Am I viewing and receiving a HD video signal on the internet? That seems unlikely, but I don't know. Can the internet transmit HD, or is that done thru the tv cable? Via internet needs special equipment or software, yes? What I am watching is like youtube. It is played with Flashplayer 10. It's just that it's the clearest full screen video I've rec'd online.

GG

GG

I beg to differ. Youtube has definitely videos out in 720p and 1080p. It isn't the same quality as a Bluray disc, but it is in HD resolution nonetheless.

I do agree with you though that an Atom isn't good enough to display HD Video properly. I have an Acer Timeline with an SU9400 processor, and it can do the task (but only just). I have heard people getting it on with a single core su3500, but I wouldn't do it.

If I were GG it would be a toss up between portability, simple pC stuff like office applications and SD video on one hand, or spend a little bit more and get HD video capability and a little bit bigger screen in the 11 to 13 inch range. The trade off is of course more weight and less money in your pocket!

P.s.: I choose to trade in my acer netbook for an ultraportable 14 inch acer lappie just under two kgs. with a built-in dvd drive. Haven't looked back since. The 10 inch screen was getting too uncomfortable during long sessions. I tend to use the computer a lot, and the netbook isn't comfortable in those situations.

Archived