Netbook Buying Advice

gawguy

Time to get a netbook I think. There are many variations - some have hard drive. Data on hd's can be erased, whereas flash drives cannot be erased as well. I think I prefer that, but would like opinions on any and all options.

Looking forward to comments.

Thanks

Gaw Guy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless in a rush or don't care, I'd follow advice, prices will def drop on 09 stuff.

Bought Asus 1000HE 10-inch this past May. Threw extra gig of Ram in for 20 bucks. Used already for two trips to LOS and multiple trips in the states. Also abused the hell out of it, and no problems... not one (well, I did pop the R key off the Keyboard, but it snapped back). Battery life is outstanding. Has been able to pick up wireless networks that my laptop (Acer) doesn't.

This model is already obsolete, but fyi when you do buy, Asus makes a good netbook.

Hi Stick,

[color:blue]How do you find True 3G?[/color]

It works just fine in the Areas of BKK I have tried it, Marriot Resort is probably furthest South I have tried it and JJ Market furhtest North

[color:blue]Do you think it would be ok as one's primary internet connection?[/color]

I still have 8Mbps ADSL on wireless network at home as primary Internet Connection, I only occasionaly use 3G when out and about with my netbook and no WiFi available and I need more computing power than available on iPhone (ie accessing works server etc)

Works very well with SKYPE, I hae not missed a call yet.

[color:blue]Also, what are you paying for it?[/color]

Good Question, I don't know to be sure. We have True TV, True Hi-Speed, the wifes and my iPhone accounts with True plus the Sister in law works for them. She arranged some convergance package.

I think I am 500 Mins Call time, 100 SMS and unlimited 3G for about 780 THB / Month.

All in all I did not look at changing to 3G specificaly, it was just part of package upgrade. As you are well aware yourself we are probably paying the same now for internet and mobile service providers in Thailand as we were ten years ago, but the speeds and services have increased dramaticaly over the past decade.

Apart from speed, another advantage 3G has over GPRS/EDGE is that you can still make / recieve conventional GSM phone calls whilst using your phone as a 3G Modem

Archived