LCD monitor advice

Flashermac

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
S

I don't think 'brand x' is any better than 'brand y'.

Regarding current price drops for large monitors, say 24â€Â, there’s no reason to buy a cheap brand, or one you’d never heared of. At no or only a small price difference I prefer to buy from a brand that does have it’s own production lines for lcd panels. E.g. Samsung and LG/Philips.

Not saying the cheaper brands are bad. We have quite a lot of HannsG monitors at work, about 60, and only one of them had a problem yet. About 18 month back when we bought most of them there was a price difference of 30 or 40 Euros between the 19†HannsG and the 19†Samsung. Today the 24†monitors of both brands sell at the same price.

Differences I noticed:

Never had a Samsung or Philips monitor (about 20) delivered with dead pixels, but maybe a hand full from HannsG. Guess when one has a lcd production they also have first choice. And there was one model from HannsG where the backlight has a dark spot in the middle of the screen. Lucky we have only four of that model.

Samsung offers better driver support, even distributed via Windows update.

The only replacement we needed yet was a HannsG, but it took them 10 days. To their defence I must say I insisted on a 19†regular size, not widescreen. Not an easy tast as they aren’t manufactured anymore.

Just my – limited – experience.

Good news is: lcd monitors are usually very reliable, regardless of brand.

I had issues with my 22" Samsung via DVI input, it would work fine for hours upon end but then crap out with dark (black) background pages and switch to Analogue mode.

I resolved issue by upgrading graphics card driver, the updgrade was released 4 weeks after the problem

The bigger the screen the more important to use digital input.

So you actually had a problem with the video driver which is now solved?

I once had an AMW monitor that died after about 18 month and got replaced. 17 month later the replacements DVI input died. Tried it with several computers to be sure. Lucky me, still one month warranty, got it replaced again. Replacement got the same problem with the DVI input on delivery, got replaced again and still works fine to this day, maybe because my sister doesn't use the computer much.

It was a driver issue that did my head in

Any page that was approx 75+ Black Graphics card kept on switching to VGA Mode and I only have DVI lead connected, driver upgrade resolved it but as I said it took nearly a month for them to realise there was an issue.

No Problems with the plasma, iPhone, Netbook, Laptop and Desktop all work with it

I just bought a Samsung 23 inch, model P2370 one week ago.

I chose this model because it's sexy: 3cm thick, lit touch screen buttons, 2ms respsonse, contrast 50000:1, beautiful looks like a Thai lady :grouphug: and at 7200 THB not expensive.

15 years ago I bought a 15 inch Sony Trinitron at 15000 THB, what a difference....

I hadn't changed a thing on my monitor - not one setting. The day before it had worked fine. But when I booted it up in the morning, it went "blink". Pressing menu didn't do any good - since I couldn't see anything. Neither did fiddling with the display controls on Windows.

The monitor is in the shop right now. I'll wait to see what Acer says. In the meantime, I picked up a used Acer 17 inch to use. So far so good.

[color:red]HOWEVER ...[/color] I loaded up Anti-Trojan Elite last night. Ran a scan with no problems. Today the PC has rebooted on me 3 times for no known reason. Adding Anti-Trojan Elite is the only thing I've changed from yesterday.

I really think I'm being haunted by the Spirit of Computers Past. Maybe I need to bring the monks over to chant. :(

p.s. So what do I need for a DVI? A different video card?

Sounds like Anti-Trojan Elite is your problem. A lot of malware is disguised as anti-malware. If I were a betting man, I'd say there's a 90% chance that's your problem, even before I've googled it.

Edit: Well, I googled it and Anti-Trojan Elite looks like it may be legit. It's still possible you got a corrupt version of it, though--where did you download it from?

It's certainly not the anti-malware that's recommended by most experts--malawarebytes is the name I hear most from them.

Mekong,

video driver problem or a problem with the monitor driver.

Video drivers are usually only three manufacturers:

Nvidia, AMD/ATI and Intel.

In your case I doubt it's Intel video. AMD/ATI releases new drivers every month, Nvidia releases drivers in irregular intervals but releases beta drivers in between. Most video card manufacturers are too lazy to add the new drivers to their website, therefore you have to check with AMD/ATI and Nvidia for new releases.

flash,

Intel does heaps of cheap and easy video that's embedded in the mainboards chipset. Meant for office computers this video solution is absolutely up to the task. Unfortunately they only have the old VGA connector.

Video cards are from Nvidia or AMD/ATI and almost all have DVI, many even HDMI and the newer AMD/ATI cards and some Nvidia cards even have Display Port, which might be the connection used in some not so distant future.

When your computer or your monitor only has VGA then it's not ideal but no real reason to go and buy new stuff. It'll do. Just next time you go buy a computer, video card or monitor make sure they do have DVI. Two years from now you might be looking for the display port instead.

If both do have DVI

check out DVI here, http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Plugs and sockets are usually white, but I have seen video card sockets in all colours.

Ok, if video card and monitor do have DVI but you're using the VGA then all you need is a DVI cable. Not expensive, go buy one.

Archived