LCD monitor advice

Flashermac

My Acer 20" double wide LCD monitor just up and quit. The video would appear when I booted up, then immediately disappear. It's under warranty, so Acer should fix it, but it's only about 5 months old.

Searching on line, I find more complaints about Acer. Should I opt for a more expensive brand? When it worked, it was great. :hmmm:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone mentioned 'Batch Theory' awhile back here.

I've never had a screen quit on me.

Would a power surge do this?

I don't think 'brand x' is any better than 'brand y'.

I have a Samsung LCD screen in front of me. Got this one only because it was on sale. Couldn't care less about brand.

BenQ. I have a BenQ montior that is almost 10 years old. It is still working. I think all brands make some good ones and some bad ones - batch theory again.

Flash,

as mentioned before, when you fiddled with screen resolution and set it higher than the monitors resolution then the monitor cannot display the too high resolution.

Same when you accidently set the refresh rate too high. LCDs usually have a refresh rate of 60Hz, some have 75Hz.

Which ‘video’ is it that you see while booting? ‘I’m an Acer’ from the monitor. ‘I’m an Intel’ or such from your computer or actually some Wondows screen?

Is your monitor connected via VGA or DVI cable?

If VGA, try pressing the 'Auto' button on your monitor.

Also there must be a 'Menu' button on your monitor. Does it display the OnScreenDisplay when you press the 'Menu' button?

Good Point Carlton about VGA or DVI

I had issues with my 22" Samsung via DVI input, it would work fine for hours upon end but then crap out with dark (black) background pages and switch to Analogue mode.

I resolved issue by upgrading graphics card driver, the updgrade was released 4 weeks after the problem.

No problems using digital input to 52" LG Plasma apart from the wife nagging.

Archived