Stickman

checkbin

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a big cultural difference between western Europe/USA/Australia and a place like Thailand (obviously). One that relates to this particular problem is that it actually isn't ok according to Thai culture, broadly speaking. For example, of course it would be huge humiliation for Thaksin's daughter to be a go-go dancer. Face. Just as much as it would be for Tony Blair's daughter, actually even more than it would be for Blair. But obviously in Thailand there IS a much more permissive attitude toward it on the part of SOME. But who are they? They're people from the lowest classes -- and in our countries, an underclass like that doesn't exist -- a huge group of people and a large % of the overall population that are considered by people in the upper classes to be completely beneath them. In "the West" (I don't like to use that term, because I think it's more to do with development, modernity, education and reason, and not much at all to do with geography), we have generally accepted a much more egalitarian attitude toward class, the idea that every one has the same rights and morals, regardless of class. Class is much less pronounced in our countries than it is in Thailand. So to me, the difference in Thailand is that it has this enormous underclass that is so poor that prostitution is one of very few escapes or ways to earn more than the almost-nothing they could otherwise. So within that subculture, the face issue loses precedence. It's a bit like drugs and crime in the west -- the poorest are attracted to it because it seems to be an option to make money, and it's an opportunity right there in front of them, where going to university seems like a much more abstract impossibility. So in Thailand, I'd say it's class plus the fact that the lowest class is so enormous.

It's interesting that there's also a history going back centuries. This means there must be more to it than just poverty -- I guess there's some particular unique aspects of Thai culture that encourage this (there's lots of poorer countries than Thailand, and none of them have what Thailand has) -- and the fact that it is still a strong monarchy in this day and age gives a good clue how resistant the country is to adapting modern attitudes based on reason and fairness. I would bet that prostitution has been a big part of their culture (bigger than in our countries) for a very long time -- for many centuries.

As for Stickman's view: I don't quite buy it. I don't think Thais are really upset that prostitution exists. I think they're upset that a farang oriented version of it exists and that it's not more discreet (as theirs is). I mean, the worst thing about prostitution isn't how unseemly it looks, it's that there are sex slaves in some places. Is there any outcry against that in Thailand? No. They're upset about lower Sukhumvit. They don't care about bondage slavery at all. Has anyone ever seen an editorial piece written by a Thai that shows outrage at sex slavery in Thai brothels? I've always had the strong impression that the Thai irritation with prostitution is much more connected to racist attitudes than to humanitarianism.

probably agree with the part about thais not liking the farang prostitute industry.

But I also think that Stick can be against Prostitution and still write his column. His column brings him money after all and he knows his audience read it for the nightlife scene mainly.

I have reached the point where I would still hold Thailand up as the number one holiday destination even without the prostitution. Thailand has so much going for it.

If the bars disappeared I actually think it would be interesting. There would probably be an explosion of online dating as thai girls will always seek out farangs for relationships. The whole scene would just become more underground like Jakarta...and that would make it interesting again. For me anyway.

I believe prostitution should be legal.

If a young person makes a lot of money because they they use their good mind, it's ok. If they use their body, it's not.

It's time to move beyond antiquated religious dogma towards rational thought.

Parts of Neveda prostitution is legal...... but the annual liscense fee might be as high as $100.00!

<< but the annual liscense fee might be as high as $100.00! >>

About what some of the BGs are demanding here for LT ...

I honestly believe that when I came here in the 1970s, most BGs ended up in the trade more or less by accident. They came to the Big Durian to work as maids, waitresses etc - but got caught short of money and drifted into the bars. Nowadays, poor upcountry girls flock to the city with the sole intention of becoming BGs and making a lot of money quickly. There is a different feeling to the nightlife trade than a few decades ago. Even Trink recognised the change in his columns, originally being sympathetic to the "poor misused girls", but finally deciding they went into it with their eyes wide open.

<< but the annual liscense fee might be as high as $100.00! >>

About what some of the BGs are demanding here for LT ...

I honestly believe that when I came here in the 1970s, most BGs ended up in the trade more or less by accident. They came to the Big Durian to work as maids, waitresses etc - but got caught short of money and drifted into the bars. Nowadays, poor upcountry girls flock to the city with the sole intention of becoming BGs and making a lot of money quickly. There is a different feeling to the nightlife trade than a few decades ago. Even Trink recognised the change in his columns, originally being sympathetic to the "poor misused girls", but finally deciding they went into it with their eyes wide open.

exactly

Archived