Stickman

checkbin

Haha, finding a Thai hooker in Cambodia would be like finding a white US hooker working in Mexico...ain't gonna happen.

That said, the long tradition of Thai-on-Thai prostitution is undeniable, and THAT is the foundation upon which the (much smaller in terms of numbers but undeniably more baht-generating) farang-oriented sex work industry has grown up on.

Thank you. Good job of summing up the Thai situation. The history is undeniable, does involve Thais, and that does raise plenty of very interesting questions, which we cannot honestly discuss without violating various PC tenets. Incidentally, I don't necessarily see this as a negative.

Crack down on the p4p industry?? It would start and end with the farang oriented industry. It's all about face and has never been more than that. Even past posts on the Stick site make a point of highlighting the plethora of underage girls you routinely find at Thai venues. Certainly exists in some Farang venues, but materially less of an issue - by a factor or 1,000 at least. Why? Short answer: face.

Wendalla raised some very interesting issues about what Thai girls are permitted to do and class. What provokes the Ministry of Culture the most? It's certainly not BGs or Thai brothels. It's middle class Thai girls dressing in short skirts and dating Farangs. At least half of it is based on Thai racism, but that's not PC, so I guess we cannot go there.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stick make up your mind about how you will theme your column as you are loosing readership (and advertisers) from both sides of the aisle.

That's strange. It appears you think you know something which you absolutely could not possibly know! I had my best week ever for both advertising inquiries (one sign up and a bunch of inquiries, most of which I think will come through) and record traffic levels.

I have never tried to appease the readership and I frequently piss off pockets of it. That approach, calling things as I see it, has led to the site being hugely popular. I have no intention of changing my approach.

There are a number of Thailand websites, some cover the nightlife exclusively, some cover it as part of the bigger picture. Whatever you want there will probably be a site that covers it. If you don't like my site - and I understand and respect that many people do not - there are plenty more for you to choose from.

I don't think Stickman's losing readership in droves, but more like the total opposite -- I think he's higher these days than he's ever been.

Doesn't bother me that he goes on the occassional rant against prostitution. What does bug me is if he just goes on and on about how bad business is in the bars these days and doesn't try at all to talk to someone other than bar owners and get a different angle on the scene or more customer-oriented (and interesting) stories. I mean, getting the bar owner perspective can be interesting now and then, but not as a rule, and esp not when it's all just about how bad business is sucking. BORING. Anyway, despite his opinion, he still puts plenty enough in the column to keep 'em coming back. Including me.

This is a really good point and yeah, I am totally guilty as charged on this one. I take on board what you say and will try and look at why these things are happening.

The first piece in tomorrow's column concerns the Bank of Thailand's FTA number for December which was released yesterday - and shows a new record for foreign tourist arrivals...which I find kinda interesting.

How about studying what makes some bars a success and others a total flop? Is there a successful formula? Even when everyone says business is down, a few bars will still be doing much better than others. Why?

And if you really want to get into deep doodoo, do a poll (in Thai, then translated) about what the BGs think of 1) their job, 2) their bosses and 3) their "customers".

A little while back I was riding in the back of a sorgtau in Pattaya and overheard a group of middle-aged Thai ladies talking .Stopping opposite where several girls were loitering on Beach Road one of the ladies remarked " they go for 500 Bt " in a way that made it obvious that it was the price not the activity that she found distastefull.....says a lot about the attitude to p4p in LOS.... :)

Hookers can be redeemed. My Mrs had a cousin who scandalised the family by working in the bars. However, she married an older Frenchie and they opened a travel agency in Chiang Mai. The guy snuffed it a few years ago, but the widow still runs the agency, and by all accounts is doing well and is respected. Her shady past is never mentioned.

Stick make up your mind about how you will theme your column as you are loosing readership (and advertisers) from both sides of the aisle.

That's strange. It appears you think you know something which you absolutely could not possibly know! I had my best week ever for both advertising inquiries (one sign up and a bunch of inquiries' date=' most of which I think will come through) and record traffic levels.

I have never tried to appease the readership and I frequently piss off pockets of it. That approach, calling things as I see it, has led to the site being hugely popular. I have no intention of changing my approach.

There are a number of Thailand websites, some cover the nightlife exclusively, some cover it as part of the bigger picture. Whatever you want there will probably be a site that covers it. If you don't like my site - and I understand and respect that many people do not - there are plenty more for you to choose from.[/quote']

Stick, while I am maybe not a big reader/fan of your sight, we have met a few times, and you're a decent guy. Keep doing what you do, how you do it, and keep getting paid for it, fuck the rest. There is a reason you have the following, so well, congrats and enjoy it, and again, fuck the rest. :applause::applause::up::up:

I don't think Stickman's losing readership in droves' date=' but more like the total opposite -- I think he's higher these days than he's ever been.

Doesn't bother me that he goes on the occassional rant against prostitution. What does bug me is if he just goes on and on about how bad business is in the bars these days and doesn't try at all to talk to someone other than bar owners and get a different angle on the scene or more customer-oriented (and interesting) stories. I mean, getting the bar owner perspective can be interesting now and then, but not as a rule, and esp not when it's all just about how bad business is sucking. BORING. Anyway, despite his opinion, he still puts plenty enough in the column to keep 'em coming back. Including me. [/quote']

This is a really good point and yeah, I am totally guilty as charged on this one. I take on board what you say and will try and look at why these things are happening.

The first piece in tomorrow's column concerns the Bank of Thailand's FTA number for December which was released yesterday - and shows a new record for foreign tourist arrivals...which I find kinda interesting.

Interesting, because I travelled over the place in December and January, from Pai to Phuket. I'd say it was substantially quieter this year than last. Never had problems getting a flight, hotels weren't full, neither were the planes! Odd then that they are reporting a record....

Archived