Yet Another Age Question

expat

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thaihome,

Thanks for your grammatical and rhetorical hint.

"In Standard English, double negatives are usually understood to resolve to a positive."

But nevertheless, the formulation of BrownFox “not allowing any girls in that aren't 21 or older†is ambiguous, can lead to misunderstandings.

Yes, of course I know what BrownFox wanted to say. The context makes it clear:

Only girls who are 21 years and older are allowed entering the hotel.

It was not my intention to flame BrownFox. No, no.

I wanted to hint at the ambiguity of the double negatives and that it could be understood as a Freudian Slip.

"A Freudian slip is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that is interpreted as occurring due to the interference of some unconscious ('dynamically repressed') wish, conflict, or train of thought." (Wikipedia)

Greetings

Charly

Hamburg Bangkok Duesseldorf

Well, I gotta rule that you are wrong about this sentence being constructed with a double negative. While there are two "negative" words in the sentence, that does not qualify it as using a double negative. The first negative relates to a verb. The second negative relates to "girl". (Got it, ThaiHome?) If there is any ambiguity there, it must mean that you are the one who is experiencing a "Freudian moment". :neener:

HH

I could tell she wasn't an old hand because she couldn't understand my Thai very well--I had to speak really slowly and enunciate. That's a dead giveaway to me that it's a Thai person who hasn't spoken with farangs who speak some Thai.

Funny thought, but what if she was not Thai? That would explain the reluctance to show ID in hotels. I've seen an odd Burmese or Lao girl over the years (mostly freelancers, e.g. in the Bangkok Beergarden). Laos would speak decent Thai, but Burmese or Khmer would not.

Legal limit in Th is 18, so I don't see why in the world a hotel would make trouble if she had valid ID.

Limit to *work or patronize a bar* is 20, I think -- apparently she had no problem with that.

I have never really checked anyones age. Most gals I've met seem to have been working for awhile. That, of course, is no guarantee.

If the gal has a sense of humor and is enthusiatic - that's all I need.

I have many print pictures. Me and gals. It is amazing back home - when people view pictures. Most seem to think ALL of the gals are too young.

One gal, I do know here age as she is a friend of a farang's wife living in LOS. She was 38 when pictures were taken. And STILL - people here state that this gal is below legal age. She was 38 years old. And, of course, people back here do not believe me.

Perceptions are sometimes reality for the uninformed.

Now how old do you think this gal is?

Please, no obtuse or sarcastic remarks.

Thailand2005252Small.jpg

Not a gal.

Trust me. We have expert professionals on this board that view every post to make a determination if someting is not correct.

So far, with no comments from the judges, we can assume that the picture above, is in fact, a gal.

And not to brag about my photo talents, I did take this picture.

Archived