Yet Another Age Question

expat

Areca Lodge in Pattaya has an apparent policy for not allowing any girls in that aren't 21 or older' date=' heard there may be a couple other hotels (in Pattaya) enforcing the same rule - haven't heard of this in Bangkok yet. [/quote']

Oh my goodness! Brown Fox!!! What are you writing?

not allowing any girls in that aren't 21 or older ???

That means Areca Lodge does not let in girls who are 21 and older.

Or to say it either way:

They let in girls only who are 20 and younger.

Your formulation can be understood as a "Freudsche Fehlleistung", a Freudian slip.

In the case of a Freudian slip your ambiguous wording means, reveals or unveils that you like young and very young girls. Girls younger than 21; maybe girls under 19, or 18, or 17.

In a Freudian slip manifests a special truth, which we would never say with a clear awareness, with a lucid consciousness.

I hope that is was a phrasing due to carelessness.

Ummm I thought he said 21+ to enter....not sure what you are on about

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...not allowing any girls in that aren't 21 or older ???

That means Areca Lodge does not let in girls who are 21 and older.

Or to say it either way:

They let in girls only who are 20 and younger.

In Standard English, double negatives are usually understood to resolve to a positive.

Although they are not used in Standard English, double negatives are used in various dialects of English, including Southern American English, African American Vernacular English, and most British regional dialects, most notably the East London (Cockney) and East Anglian dialects Double Negative (Wiki)

TH

Ummm I thought he said 21+ to enter....not sure what you are on about

:yeahthat:

I think that' date=' in this thread, he misread what Brown Fox wrote AND quite unfairly, through innuendo, begged questions that aren't even on the horizon.

HH

[/quote']

At least he didn't invade Poland!

...not allowing any girls in that aren't 21 or older ???

in other words, they are not allowing girls that are under 21

th,

try changing the second negative to a positive..., ie ...not allowing any girls in that are 21 or older ???

that it what you were looking for.. the quote is not an example of a double negative.

... she couldn't understand my Thai very well--I had to speak really slowly and enunciate. That's a dead giveaway to me that it's a Thai person who hasn't spoken with farangs who speak some Thai.

or a person who isn't thai to start with, as in (possibly illegal) khmer, lao or burmese?

Thaihome,

Thanks for your grammatical and rhetorical hint.

"In Standard English, double negatives are usually understood to resolve to a positive."

But nevertheless, the formulation of BrownFox “not allowing any girls in that aren't 21 or older†is ambiguous, can lead to misunderstandings.

Yes, of course I know what BrownFox wanted to say. The context makes it clear:

Only girls who are 21 years and older are allowed entering the hotel.

It was not my intention to flame BrownFox. No, no.

I wanted to hint at the ambiguity of the double negatives and that it could be understood as a Freudian Slip.

"A Freudian slip is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that is interpreted as occurring due to the interference of some unconscious ('dynamically repressed') wish, conflict, or train of thought." (Wikipedia)

Greetings

Charly

Hamburg Bangkok Duesseldorf

... the quote is not an example of a double negative.

The word “aren’t†is a contraction of “are notâ€Â. How can a sentence containing the word “not†twice not be a double negative?

:surprised:

TH

Archived