Is College Worth It Nowadays?

Steve

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/rethinking-college-as-student-loan-burdens-rise-434365.html?tickers=^GSPC,spy,COCO,APOL,DV,ESI,^DJI

This article is from the U.S. about the U.S. not sure if it applies to the UK, Oz, NZ and Europe? I'm curious.

I think it is but they make counter arguments that a motivated person will make money or a career ala Bill Gates.

The rising costs of college and the debt American students accumulate are the reasons giving against.

In europe, I think the costs in some countries aren't that bad so its not an issue.

In the states, I'd reccommend an online degree. When I was going to school they were frowned on and a waste of money as employers didn't accept them. The Univ. of Phoenix was the first corporate college to gain credibility and now its fairly common to be accepted alongside traditional schools. College degrees are becoming like HS diplomas now and a masters is becoming the new standard. With that, many adults are getting a masters from the online and corporate schools.

If I was starting out now I'd go the online route which I can do from home and pursue my career or idea without 'wasting 4 years' away from home. You can start a business right out of HS and get a college degree at your leisure.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cs, as someone who finished his degree part-time, I dont know how much 'leisure' most students will have trying to combine a fulltime job with study. I know a lot of people do it, but I had lunch with a former work colleague today and she said she didnt know how the hell she got through that last two years part-time. I might add that this lady has one of the most solid work ethics of anyone I have worked with and pushed herself to a very good GPA, but we all felt pushed by the Singaporeans back in the early 90s. They came out for the final year of their degree and went back with near perfect GPAs in many cases - total fanatics when it came to study.

The 4 best years of one's life...yes cost is much more of a factor now than 25 or 30 years ago...

probably can still find a good public college to improve one's value...

If one can afford it, find the best private or public school that is a good fit...

Kids need to be socialized so big downer of on-line or commuter schools...

Kids who go to quality schools probably are much more productive and happier people later in life..Please prove me wrong and please don't cite "I have a college-educated, rich friend who is depressed all the time scenario..."

I want to see studies for validation...

CB

In my experience, a 4 year degree is a rubber stamp thing that you need. If it can be done online, all the better. Advanced degrees are another matter.

When I dropped out, UCLA Extension was an option - night school - that I didn't take.

As an aside, just last night I spoke with an old surfing pal from junior college days, and before. He noticed, from facebook, that I'd been to Indo and other places and asked how I wound up in the airline business. I said, "Remember that night when we were driving up PCH when Jetty's Restaurant (now Gladstone's) burned down? We sat there and watched it. That's where I worked as a busboy. Shortly after that, a friend called and, knowing I was out of work, said they needed a mailboy at ANZ." I took that job, I liked it and the people, and was too lazy to further persue my education.

What I'm trying to say is that career and education decisions are really FRAGILE at a young age.

FUCK online Universities! You should have to go and put the time in, and learn to talk to people and interact with them outside of chatrooms.

As for degrees...I have one, it would have been expensive but it was paid for on an ORTC scholarship. Which is good, because if I had to actually pay for it with my own cash I'd be seriously pissed as it was difficult to find a job related to it when I graduated. Mind you I did almost pay for it with my life in El Salvador, but so what?

Today there were massive protests in California regarding the high and rising costs of education. As on commentator (presenter for you Brits) put it, "...education should be free, why should someone have to pay to acquire the skills necessary for them to go and better society? Sure they may profit from it, but so will the country/society as a whole. Shouldn't our best and brightest be given these skills so they can give back to us...?"

Time we start reinvesting in this country and our people.

In the 1960s it was hard as hell to get into a good university. Supposedly, only something like the top 15% of high school grads could gain admission to the U of California (at any campus). For the state colleges, only the top 25% of grads could get in. Thus 3/4ths of the California population was left out, having to be satisfied with maybe 2 years at a junior college.

The baby boomers ran out by the late 1970s, and universities and colleges began hurting for new students. Admission standards had to be lowered, plus companies started demand degrees for almost any job (e.g. manager of a grocery). Profs and lecturers were pressured to give good grades, since students had to be retained to pay the bills - not failed and kicked out.

As a result, what does a degree mean any more? A BA/BS is as common as a high school diploma in the 1960s. An MA/MS used to get you a lot of attention; now it is almost a requirement. (All primary and secondary teachers in the US have to have an MA/MEd.) There is already a Masters of Philosophy degree, which ranks between an MA and a PhD. Will a PhD soon be required?

Education unfortunately has become a business. The same thing is happening in LOS.

For a young fella nowadays, I'd say join the military to learn something useful - electronics, IT, photography or whatever. Think twice about spending years to get a piece of paper that might never get you a job. :(

Good points.

Get you degree, work for a company for 20+ years and then get booted out...as they don't want to pay your retirement and benefits!

You are farked! Age 50, no one wants to hire you, a piss poor retirement and no health insurance, have a nice day!!

Join the military, get a good pension and health insurance, life is great!!!

Better yet, get into politics...GREAT pay, benefits, retirements, etc!!!

Archived