Is College Worth It Nowadays?

Steve

One more thing, you Aussies and Kiwis can offer any suggestions for your countries as well if you know of a cheap MBA program there. Austrailia and New Zealand, while not English (sorry, not my sentiment but general American feeling) and won't carry the same cache` it will be looked upon favorably by American employers as well.

Forgot about the Scots as well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The easier it becomes to get a masters, the less important, more trivial it will become.

The same happened with a Bachelors. I recall a time when the University of Phoenix (and other similar 'corporate colleges) was not viewed by most HR departments (I had a gf who was a HR director for a major bank as well) and when I was hiring for my department the HR department frowned upon it and pretty much threw out all my candidates that had one.

The exception were computer related fields. Those colleges were deemed okay if you were a computer programmer as well as similar jobs.

I personally have nothing against it. Experience, integrity, etc. were always what I valued most. The jobs I was hiring for (processing of financial data) the vast majority of HS grads could have done but the company deemed the job only worthy of a college graduate. I think their thinking was the best of the lot could be promoted and for promotion a college degree was necessary to enter management. Understandable to some extent although I personally think too much weight is placed on higher education despite the good argument made by many of you on this thread.

That said, there is very little difference in terms of acceptance between a corporate college degree and say..Cal state LA.

There will be a time when the master's will become trivial as you say but its not here now and I intend to 'cash in' while the 'getting is good'. :content:

Thanks. One of the things I'm looking for is a name that sounds good. University of Newcastle, University of south Austrailia sounds good.

There are a lot of ads on yahoo for an online degree from the University of Liverpool in England. It would sound good to most employers in America who have no idea of Liverpool's reputation as a city. All they know is its where the Beatles are from. I was going to use it but I keep seeing their ads a bit too much on yahoo so it would lose its aura. hehehe

I don't know if its a good uni or not but the University of London would be perfect. A few other London unis I saw are: Middlesex, Univ. of East London, Kingston University, University of Greenwich, Univ. of Westminister. All would 'sound good' to most U.S. employers. Others wouldn't (School of Oriental and African Studies)

Quite a good point Steve. How many professionals in many fields actually use the knowledge acquired in years of college? Doctors maybe, but many of their skills are learned on the job.

I suppose a case could be made it's a way of finding people with a better capacity to reason.

If you have to do a few semesters in person rather than online, I can't speak highly enough of the University of South Australia.

This school advertises world wide for students, many coming from Malaysia, Singapore, China, India, and I'd challenge any college on Earth to match it for the cuteness of it's girl students.

I love taking public transport in Adelaide, all those little darlings on the way to the city in their short skirts and long black hair... :relieved:

Steve, the thing about British Universities is that until recently there were two types: the traditional Universities and the Polytechnics, which were created in the 1960's in an attempt to widen higher education. Polytechnics accepted lower high school exam grades for prospective undergrads. A few years ago, Polytechnics were allowed to call themselves Universities and now they all do. I'm not sure even British employers know the difference. Anyway, Liverpool was a traditional university and its reputation has always been good enough.

Archived