Hate Stray Dogs

Savittre

The title of this topic is not directed toward farang women!!

I was walking alone at nighttime in a back soi in Pattaya. Suddenly, a dog is approaching me from behind, barking agressively. I scared it off, next thing it's back like before, with another just like it- 2 dogs now. A local woman running a food stall called them off.

Guys, I really don't enjoy this type of situation. I didn't get a rabies shot before coming here. Maybe I should!

This must happen to you, too. What's the best way to handle it? Is it possible to get pepper spray in LOS?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't bother me since stray dogs seldom take any interest me. For whatever reason, they do to some people. e.g. A colleague's stepdaughter visited him for a while at my old apartment complex, and she was terrified of the soi dogs. One actually walked up and nipped her on the leg. Mind you, this was a dog I could go up to and pet. :dunno:

Pepper spray works and is available, if you really think you need it.

p.s. Peace Corps had us get the first shot of the rabies series during training. The idea was that if you get attacked by a mad, snarling dog that is foamy at the mouth you don't have to rush off to start the series. (I've had the full series - after I was bitten by a bat! :( )

Soi dogs are a problem to me because I walk a smallish dog on a lead twice daily.

I carry a heavy wooden walking stick and use it with out hesitation and the message gets across very quickly.

Currently I have to avoid a certain area of the village as there's a large pup there and it rushes up to us to play, which seems to put another dog, which I'd previously "conditioned", into attack mode.

I saw a nice sword stick in MaeSai last month, I bet that would come in handy when Pattaya bar hopping, and not only for soi dogs!. :cool:

I have to say that in BKK, dogs have almost never bothered me...certainly not in comparison with the 6 months in an upcountry village that resulted from my highly questionable decision to move in with my Thai BG girlfriend (hey, give me a break, I was new to LOS then!)

up there, the dogs are not scrawny underfed city soi dogs, they are big, muscled, nasty-ass motherfuckers who eat like kings...every household has one, and the fuckers totally believe that "their territory" extends well off the lot their master owns and into the road that happens to pass by...

I love to walk, I really do...and all those inviting straight roads that skirt the rice fields...but it was not to be. walking or running anywhere "off the reservation" (in our family compound, all the dogs knew me and treated me with friendly playfulness, even as they sought to tear the shit out of any outsider who ventured in...) was an unbelievably tense ordeal...I was told by the older folks to always carry stones to throw at the nasty canine fucks (never a stick)...but it just got too tiring.

so no, I really don't have a problem with BKK soi dogs...I've only been menaced once by a dog in the city, and it wasn't a stray, it was protecting its master's house, which unfortunately abutted the house of a friend I was visiting...

BuBi releases the final secret about dogs of whichever nationality :

They smell if you are scared and start to trouble you . My dog is the most peaceful animal under the sun but once in 6 months she starts barking at totally innocent people and behaves like silly . I then receive the usual complaints from the person and on analysing the situation I always get to hear that this happened all the time to her/him . This is what chuckwoww says . Straydogs are mostly used to run away if you show strength .

it's funny how soi dogs & master dogs are used in the same sentence?

usually soi dogs are totally underfed, aggressive & non trained & their 'base' to be found on the sois/wild.

so are soi dogs necessarily more dangerous for YOU than the dogs belonging to a household?

I'd say usually yes as soi dogs 'huntø in large packs even some households also have quite a few dogs. But the advantage with 'household' dogs are that they tend to stick to the immediate area where they belong where as soi dogs if they set your eyes on you may be hard to fight off...

Overall I hate all aggressive dogs & knowing of the trick to stay calm it just wont work well if caught unsuspecting by an aggressive ugly pack!! :(

Attacks can even occur while in a car, but obviously worse on foot or 2 wheeler - foot & bicycle definitely are the most likely 'worst cases' as dogs in less traveled areas simply are not used to 'strangers' like that so even the cutest dog will give her best bark given such chance :cover:

bastards! Will consider some weapons asap - maybe the M79 will do ;)

Archived