Gay couple turned away from English guest house

SpiceMan

A gay couple were turned away from a Berkshire guest house by the owner who said it was "against her convictions" for two men to share a bed. Michael Black and John Morgan, from Brampton, Cambridgeshire, had booked a double room at the Swiss B&B, Terry's Lane, in Cookham, for Friday night. When they arrived Susanne Wilkinson refused to let them stay. She admitted she did turn the couple away because it was against her policy to accommodate same sex couples.

The couple have now reported the matter to Thames Valley Police.

Under the Equality Act 2006 it is illegal to discriminate against people on the grounds of sexual orientation. Ms Wilkinson told the BBC: "They gave me no prior warning and I couldn't offer them another room as I was fully booked. "I don't see why I should change my mind and my beliefs I've held for years just because the government should force it on me. "I am not a hotel, I am a guest house and this is a private house."

Mr Black and Mr Morgan were in the village, near Maidenhead, to meet some friends for dinner and to see a local play. Mr Black told the BBC: "We're two respectable middle-aged men - John is leader of the Lib Dem group on Huntingdon Town Council. "This was the first time either of us had experienced homophobia at first hand, despite being aged 56 and 62, we were shocked and embarrassed. "Mrs Wilkinson saw us both before we got out of the car and immediately acted in an unwelcoming, cold way, but my boyfriend and I were polite and friendly. "She said if we'd told her in advance she would have told us not to come. "She apologised for turning us away. I asked for a refund of the deposit, which she gave me without quibble. "We stayed polite and, to be fair, she wasn't rude or abusive. All she said about her reasons for turning us away was that it went against her convictions for us to stay there. "We've since told a large number of friends and acquaintances and the reaction has consistently been amazement that this should have happened. "I've reported the matter to Thames Valley Police who have confirmed that they are following it up." A spokeswoman for Thames Valley Police said she could not comment on this particular case but said similar complaints would tend to be dealt with as civil matters.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8578787.stm

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't like having people having sex in your house then don't start a guest house!

homophobes/racists should not work in the service industry. If they do they should just put up with it and go vent on their families that way the police might be able to get them on domestic abuse charges and throw their ass in jail where they belong. where they ironically will be ass-raped by a big black dude named bubba (ouch!)

The lady was just standing her ground for her belief.

You may or may not agree with it, But I give her all the credit in the world.

Big Brother tries to tell us what we can and can not do with our bussiness.

We pay taxes and try our best, but not evrybody will be happy.

You can't do this you can't do that..

If I want to allow people who smoke in my bussiness that's my choice.

Non smokers can go someplace else.

You're not a drinker then fine do'nt come into a bar and bitch about the people drinking in a bar..

If you don't like having people having sex in your house then don't start a guest house!

She probably doesn't have a problem with people having sex in her house, as long as they're of the opposite sex. However she is probably disgusted, and quite rightly so, by the idea of men having sex with each other in her house. She will probably cop a lot of flack for this but I hope she sticks to her guns and gets the support she deserves. :up:

PS If she did go to jail there wouldn't be any big black guys. :rolleyes::shakehead

Fact of the matter is that she is discriminating against homosexuals and that is wrong, to defend her means you are agreeing with discrimination.

To take the bar example; she opens a bar and then is shocked to find that people come there to drink.

Archived