Gay couple turned away from English guest house

SpiceMan

Can anyone tell me when B&Bs became regulated in the UK by government standards?

Forgive me if I'm old or forgetful, but the types of places I'd see in the countryside 30-40 years ago appeared to be unregulated operations, like your kids selling lemonade on the street. No probs in that case; it's their home and they can decide who will be their guest(s).

Nowadays, if they have to be licensed, well fuck her, she deserves the shitstorm (possibly a bad choice of words there:).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe consenting adults should be allowed to do more or less what they like under their own roof. However this was'nt their own roof and I can understand this woman having the beliefs she does. In the UK in recent years unfortunately PC madness has taken and things have become crazy. I'm all in favour of gay people being allowed to conduct their lives in safety without persecution but under the current UK government homosexuality is actively being promoted and put forward as being normal.

To assume as some posters seem to have done, that because someone does not think homosexuality is normal that they are automaticly racist is typical of the PC nazis who believe theirs is the only valid viewpoint and everyone else is akin to Gengis Khan.

Simie.

Yes, it's wasn't their personal house, but it was a place of business so they have every right not to be discriminated against just because they are homosexual. If this was a private home then yes the woman in question would have every right to refuse them entry, but that isn't the case here.

There is a huge difference between political correctness and anti-discrimination the latter are a bunch of rules and regulation that promoted fairness and equality amongst all of a countries citizens, the former is just a bunch of busybodies with thin skin making a fuss over perceived offensiveness.

While it's every persons right to be a bigot/racist/homophobe etc etc. it doesn't make it right. Irrational hatred for people based on something that they cannot change and probably have never consciously chosen for (besides maybe religion) is always wrong no matter how much you try to spin it.

being a bigot/racist/etc is bad mmmkay :Dreference>

Sorry, but if she doesn't want a couple of old faggots shagging each other up the arse in her home then she should be able to say no. :shakehead

PS Sorry if I'm not PC.

Of course doing anal, fisting, rimming, using strapons e.g., between heterosexual couples is a complete different matter, isn't it?

I am surprised that someone who is a regular punter on a punters forum can be so narrow minded.

I guess staying in hotel Patty must be a big problem for you. Just imagine a punter in your age bringing a Thai man to the room next to you...

:surprised:

PC or not, it is interesting to see someone on this forum showing the identical revulsion of gay men like Christian or Muslim fundamentalists by using the fundamentalist's arguments.

By the way, did you evers visit Eden Club? Or did you ever comment here on the board that you find the things the girls do with the men are disgusting (I have read that the bring a bag full of sex toys and dildos to their appointments :hubba:)?

Can anyone tell me when B&Bs became regulated in the UK by government standards?

Forgive me if I'm old or forgetful, but the types of places I'd see in the countryside 30-40 years ago appeared to be unregulated operations, like your kids selling lemonade on the street. No probs in that case; it's their home and they can decide who will be their guest(s).

Nowadays, if they have to be licensed, well fuck her, she deserves the shitstorm (possibly a bad choice of words there:).

UK B&B's are still pretty much as you remember them. But there are now regulations concerning minimum room size, smoke detectors and fire resistant doors. These things are checked by the local council once a year. A B&B does not need a license unless it sells alcohol.

It has been unlawful for any business to discriminate against anybody on grounds of race or gender since the 1970's. The sexual orientation addition was passed in 2006, with the same penalties in law i.e. damages awarded.

To those who say homosexuality is disgusting I would say that in the 1970's some guest house owners had the same irrational repugnance for black people. This was tested in court on at least 1 occasion and damages were awarded.

Eldar, er sorry but where did the "hatred" bit come from? Again your jumping to the usual conclusions and implying the woman concerned is the sort of person who would love to usher the 2 men inbvolved in this case into the gas chambers! I saw nothing to indicate that in the original post and all the woman did was politely state that due to her personal beliefs she did not approve of homosexuality and did not wish them to share a room in her guest house.

Simie.

Spiceman, you appear to be one of those people who has been brainwashed by the PC nazis into believing that because someone thinks homosexuality is deviant they will automatically be racist and a bigot generally? Or at least that appears to be implied in your post?

Simie.

Eldar, er sorry but where did the "hatred" bit come from? Again your jumping to the usual conclusions and implying the woman concerned is the sort of person who would love to usher the 2 men inbvolved in this case into the gas chambers! I saw nothing to indicate that in the original post and all the woman did was politely state that due to her personal beliefs she did not approve of homosexuality and did not wish them to share a room in her guest house.

Simie.

the "hatred bit" was a general term, i thought that the general nature of the paragraph was obvious and that i was not refering specifically to this situation.

it does not change the fact that she is wrong, she might be in her right to believe that homosexuality is deviant to use your term, but she is in the wrong as to use that believe to discriminate while in the process of conducting business.

Anti-discrimination laws are there for a reason. If you don't agree with equality then as another posters has mentioned, you can always move to the bastions human freedom the UAE, Iran and Uganda (i'm sure there are many more)

In this womans case she could do us all a favor and think things through before doing something. Opening up a business for the public means eventually you will have gay people show up since they do make up a not insignificant proportion of the population. So if you have a problem with them then i would suggest not running a business in the civilized world

Archived