Abhisit’s Oxford Education a ‘Liability’ Amid Emergency Decree

Mentors

April 8 (Bloomberg) -- Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was born in the English city of Newcastle and attended Eton College and Oxford University. Opponents say his elite upbringing makes him ill-suited to heal social upheaval that forced him to declare a state of emergency for a second time....

Who's that other guy, born in Cambridge, MA, went to Switzerland where he continued his secondary education at the Ecole Nouvelle de la Suisse Romande, Chailly sur Lausanne and received the Bachelieres Lettres diploma from the Gymnase Classique Cantonal of Lausanne and then chose to enter Lausanne University to study Science? Name is on the tip of my tongue. Elite? You be the judge.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering that Abhisit was born in Newcastle, it's a wonder he can speak English at all. ;)

Actually, as I watched his talks with the Red leaders, I was quite impressed at how perfect Abhisit's Thai is. It is far above that of English born and bred Dr Ji Ungpakorn, who wants the proles to begin a revolution and establish the PDR Thailand. (Dr Ji's Thai is so bad that I have been mistaken for him. :( )

His education is a liability? Maybe they can find someone more in the Hun Sen mold. "He's too smart. We want someone dumber."

Let's face it: they have no clue how to even start going about picking a head of state with the right skill set. It's amazing actually that in all the years they've had democracy, not a single even moderately admirable leader has ever emerged. In how many years?

Yeah but all this about his education... this is just one more line of BS in a heaping plate of spaghetti of lines of BS.

Wendella: exactly. What kind of idiot wants a leader who is less educated and "smart" than them? The mind boggles. More proof the reds are simply idiots driven to an end by a few baht.

But you are wrong: Chuan Leekpai and Abhisit were/are very fine, intelligent, non-corrupt and capable leaders. Both Democrats. Read into that what you will, but recall the the Dems are the only party not formed to elect a certain person unlike TRT, New Aspiration, Puea Thai, et al.

April 8 (Bloomberg) ...[color:red]The demonstrators, angered by one of Asia’s widest income gaps, [/color]...

I sure wish people would show me some data that proves this. All I can find is this on Wiki that has data from both the UN and the CIA. It sure shows that Thailand is nowhere near the widest income gap in Asia, and in fact is very close to the UK and US. The only countries better are third world communist ones like Vietnam.

TH

Must I bring up Pridi Banomyong again? Uh ... by the way, he was the leading figure in the Democrat Party, formed just after WWI and the years when the near dictator Pibul Songkram had been playing footsie with Imperial Japan.

<< He was a former Prime Minister and Senior Statesman of Thailand, and [color:blue]was named one of the world's great personalities of the 20th century by UNESCO in 2000.[/color] >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pridi_Banomyong

Archived