Moving to LOS questions

Coss

On the possibility of moving to LOS, any advice on the following would be appreciated.

Wifey (Thai Citizen) will have her name on everything.

Were I to ship a large container to Surin.....

1. can the Thais deliver it to Surin? or would I have to unpack it and truck the contents to the destination?

2. I know that white goods and household effects etc are cheap in LOS but sentiment rules... are there huge or any duties, on white goods and household effects?

3. if a large box of 2nd hand motorcycle parts were included (being a CKD bike) would these be dutiable?

4. if an 18 foot sailing catamaran in pieces was also in the container would this cause consternation and fee paying my me?

5. I understand that the wife can take her 2nd hand car back, sans duty, after 2 years of ownership?

All of this is only half serious, but worth knowing for the future.

I realise that the most sane answer is to sell up and buy replacement stuff once in LOS, but some of these things are precious to me. Even the wife.

Cheers

Coss

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dump the shite Coss, if it doesn't fit in a couple of suit cases get rid of it.

If you have any doubts about this, try storing it for a year then see if the sentiments still there after 12 months of not having it.

A good divorce changes your attitude to material things I can tell you.

Dump the shite Coss, if it doesn't fit in a couple of suit cases get rid of it.

:yeahthat:

When I "moved" to Thailand in 1991 it was actually for work, even though I had been here previously on R'n'R, and I arrived with just one bag.

Since then the only things I have shipped over here was my Record and CD collection and that was only because the MNC I got a job with a few years ago offered me free shipping on upto 75KG of personal effects and paid the duty as part of the employment package.

That being said when we moved house last month we could have filled up 3 shipping containers with all the things accumulated over the yeas.

1. can the Thais deliver it to Surin? or would I have to unpack it and truck the contents to the destination? [color:red](Yes, no problems here).[/color]

2. I know that white goods and household effects etc are cheap in LOS but sentiment rules... are there huge or any duties, on white goods and household effects? [color:red](For your wife, if returning after one year away, no duty on one item of each type of normal household goods)[/color]

3. if a large box of 2nd hand motorcycle parts were included (being a CKD bike) would these be dutiable? [color:red](Yes - but from NZ duty is negligible.)[/color]

4. if an 18 foot sailing catamaran in pieces was also in the container would this cause consternation and fee paying my me? [color:red](No, boats are technically duty free (only pay VAT). But would require that you register the boat when you import it. But restrictions apply here.)[/color]

5. I understand that the wife can take her 2nd hand car back, sans duty, after 2 years of ownership? [color:red](No, wrong info. Don't even think about it.)[/color]

2. I know that white goods and household effects etc are cheap in LOS but sentiment rules... are there huge or any duties, on white goods and household effects? [color:red](For your wife, if returning after one year away, no duty on one item of each type of normal household goods)[/color]

PM,

Thanks for the info.

Wife returning after one year, means max one year, or min one year ?

Will face same situation in a few years.....but no bike / boat / car.

Mostly books, etc....

BB

Thanks for the answers, gents, and I see, upon looking into it with the Thai Embassy also, that Pom Michael's final "Don't even think about it." is the best advice.

Whilst it would be satisfying to do all the leg work and form filling and have it all work, the vagaries of the relevant official's mood on the day, inject a sufficient degree of difficulty into the exercise, that the time spent attempting to overcome said vagaries would be better spent drinking.

Cheers

Coss

Archived