Seh Daeng 'to lead the battle'

Flashermac

Bangkok Post

28 Apr 2010

Renegade army general Khattiya Sawasdipol makes no attempt to hide his leading role in the red shirts' battle with the government.

The officer also known as Seh Daeng calls himself the "commander" of the anti-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship's strategy to hamper any government crackdowns aimed at dislodging the protesters from their rally point at Ratchaprasong intersection.

Maj Gen Khattiya said he had drawn on "local wisdom" to erect several hundred metres of barricades made up of old tyres and sharpened stakes at Sala Daeng intersection near Silom Road. The brick-reinforced barriers have been doused with fuel so they can be transformed into a wall of fire to slow down or halt the security forces if they try to retake areas near Lumpini Park that are occupied by the red shirts.

"I consider and call myself the commander who will lead the battle if the government security forces decide to disperse the demonstrators," Maj Gen Khattiya said.

"The walls are built according to the local wisdom of the people."

Maj Gen Khattiya said the barricades were modelled on fortifications used in the 1785-86 Burmese-Siamese war during the reign of King Rama I. The war is also known as the "Nine Armies War" after the number of armies Burma used to invade Siam.

He said a 40,000-strong security force would be needed to overrun the barricades, but claimed the government could only muster 10,000 troops and police at the most.

"We have bricks and stones to fight against the security forces, although the protesters do not have any war weapons," he said.

Similar barricades erected at Pratunam, Siam Square and Chidlom are manned by more than 2,000 red shirt security guards, he said.

"These walls are similar to the walls built in the Israeli-occupied West Bank," Maj Gen Khattiya said.

The protesters are also armed with fireworks which Maj Gen Khattiya said would be used to repel helicopter assaults on the red shirts.

[color:red]He said a thousand new security guards were being recruited who would take about two months to train.[/color]

New guards who have completed their training will be given orders on April 30, but Maj Gen Khattiya declined to say what specific tasks they would be assigned to carry out.

Maj Gen Khattiya is the only soldier able to move freely among the red shirts while in uniform. He has won recognition from the protesters who are grateful for his efforts to protect them.

Whenever he appears at the red shirt rallies, demonstrators will ask for his autograph and have their pictures taken with him.

Rink

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why isn't this guy dead or in gaol yet???

I imagine the same thing was said way back when by many Brits about George Washington. :devil::clown::neener::scared::stirthepo:stirthepo:argue: :grin:

(Well, that should stir up the hornets nest for a bit. 5555555. Okay, I agree the guy is a nut and dangerous to boot. I imagine HE sees himself as a freedom fighter and soldier for democracy in the LOS.)

What gets me/puzzles me is why so many expats, and to some extent tourists, are so passionate and agitated by this whole red shirt/yellow shirt/whatever color shirt political clash. It is Thais fighting Thais for the control of their country and what they believe in. Granted there are people behind the scenes agitating as well and supplying money and all that. Which happens everywhere really around the world, doesn't it/hasn't it?

It is not your country, you are not a citizen and likely will never be nor allowed to be, you cannot vote, cannot run for office, can't own land, have no say or influence in what happens, are considered a nuisance when becoming involved in this stuff, and most Thais do not want to allow you any input on how they run their country as you are farang and NOT Thai and they think it is none of your beeswax really. You are here and allowed to be and stay here at the whim of the government, the bureaucracy, and the Thai people themselves.

It is up to the Thais how to deal with all this, and how much they fuck up their own country however they see fit is up to them. They'll somehow work it all out in their own time on their own schedule. It may seem they are all a bunch of schitzos, all sides, but they are doing it the 'Thai way' from what I can see. It's their country and I just sit back and watch the show, as there is nothing I can do to influence them in any way by what I say or do. If it gets too fucked up, I'll leave for a while, or for good if it remains fucked up to the point I cannot feel safe living here.

Personally I think most of those farang who bitch and moan and rant and rave the most are those who find this all impedes their ability to do what they want here when they want, whether that means travel, shop, monger, work, play or party, or make a living here (always difficult even at the best of times here). I doubt it has anything to do with their wanting Thailand to do what it wants for their country and people, but more to do with Thailand not doing what these farang want, expect, believe, demand the Thais should be doing. It is more a selfish thing on the ranting and raving farangs' part I feel. It's almost a colonialist attitude of 'these stupid wogs should be doing it the way we westerners would do it, as we know best'.

Personally I do hope the Thais can work it out with as little violence and bloodshed as is possible. But then, most of our countries have, in the west, resorted to all sorts of violence and mayhem to get to where we are today. We are hardly shining examples of nonviolence and restraint in our political squabbles in the past hmmm?

Thailand is evolving, or devolving some may think. It is up to them, the Thais, and their people to fight for what they want, whatever they want. It may well get very ugly. As it has many times in the west before.

What's next? Police actions by the western powers ala Viet Nam? UN intervention? Partitioning of the country by western forces?

We, the expats, can always leave if need be. The Thais cannot for the most part and have to live with what they wreak. Tourists can 'tour' elsewhere if need be. A shame, but no real trauma for most.

But, it really is for the Thais to decide, and more power to them I say. They will do it 'their way' no matter what anyone else says or does. They always do.

JMHO.

Cent

Cent - even though Lizard Gizzard, TH and myself are on opposite sides of the fences - if they have 1/2 Thai children like I do, then THEY SHOULD CARE, because as responsible parents they should care about the country that represents half their children's future.

At least that's part of the reason for me.

If that is your main concern and priority then, as a 'responsible parent', as you put it, most would actually take their children back to the western country they came from to ensure their child's highest possible educational opportunities, safety, and future I would think. Much better political climate, higher/better education and future work/career possibilities in the west... right?

But neither you, nor I, have done that have we? Why? Because WE want to live here and not back in our western country that would provide much better opportunities for our children. Irresponsible maybe? As a parent?

You recently had that opportunity, and didn't do that. Why? Because you wanted to stay here. As do I. Is that selfish and irresponsible as parents?

What real chance exactly do you have of influencing Thailand and Thais in any way, shape or form? If the shit truly hits the fan are you willing to fight for either side, to put your life on the line, to help whichever side you 'believe' is the right one to guide Thailand into the future? Will you stay and put your family in jeopardy? Or, will you take your family and head back to Oz until the physical fighting is over and the all clear whistle is blown?

Just curious, seriously.

Cent

Archived