Seh Daeng 'to lead the battle'

Flashermac

Hi,

Cent, I think you are being too harsh. Sure, there is a selfish element to us farangs wanting things to calm down, but I think much more it is that we really do not like to see this country - and its people - that we love to get so fucked up.

Some of us have been here for a long time (12+ years for me) and are fully settled. Sure, the government will never fully accept us, but that doesn't change anything to the fact that our lives are HERE. And as such, we SHOULD care about what is happening.

While moving back is an option I suppose, it is hardly something to consider lightly. Just looking at my personal situation it would raise issues about:

- What to do with the kids (high school age with (virtually) no English)?

- What about my job? Should I just let my business partner and our investor hanging?

- Can I afford a move financially?

- How would my wife handle the move to a different country?

- Could I get a job easily back home?

- etc etc etc, I am sure you get the picture :)

Sanuk!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What gets me/puzzles me is why so many expats, and to some extent tourists, are so passionate and agitated by this whole red shirt/yellow shirt/whatever color shirt political clash.

It is not your country, you are not a citizen and likely will never be nor allowed to be, you cannot vote, cannot run for office, can't own land, have no say or influence in what happens, are considered a nuisance when becoming involved in this stuff, and most Thais do not want to allow you any input on how they run their country as you are farang and NOT Thai and they think it is none of your beeswax really. You are here and allowed to be and stay here at the whim of the government, the bureaucracy, and the Thai people themselves.

We, the expats, can always leave if need be. The Thais cannot for the most part and have to live with what they wreak. Tourists can 'tour' elsewhere if need be. A shame, but no real trauma for most.

Cent

Your statement pisses me off even more than the antics of this idiot Saeh Daeng.

I am living and working in this country for more than 12 years. My partners and I invested over 100 Million THB and build a group of consulting companies employing 200+ Thai staff und a couple of 100 million THB revenue.

Since weeks I have to walk through the red camp to reach our office, yesterday even was hindered by force (Sky train closed, motobike stopped) to go to our office. After this disturbing incident we had to take the decision to close our office for the time being.

And there are hundreds of fellow expats, many probably affected even worse by this chaos going on for weeks now. You say we should lean back an just watch what is happening? After all as expats we can just pack our bags and leave.

Sorry but you are a complete moron.

Cent is Correct

Dyslexic Doggie is Correct

KS is Correct

Hardy is Correct

Acockasian is Correct

The differances between the opinions are based on each and every idividuals unique set of circumstances and we should learn to accept that whilst not agreeing with another persons opinion one has to respect such.

Deep Breath, Step Back and :grouphug:

people,finace, tourism and stock markets can vote with there feet.I have been here more than 10 years which allows me no rights.I am allowed to have concern about the direction of the country in which i choose to reside.To have the attitude that its nothing to do with you seems a little misguided maybe you poorly informed spouse is wearing the trousers.If you employ people here have investments it will affect local people when you bail.

Bullshit Cent, Kids here have a FAR better upbringing living the way they do now than in Australia, frankly I've had better security etc in Aust than here. My family back in Australia agreed it was better to stay here now while memories are being formed that are priceless, like riding elephants every month, that in Australia are impossible. That's 100% why we stayed.

Also I've made no secret when the kids are at close to high school age, then no matter what they do need a Aussie education.

No if YOU choose to do it your way - so what I don't care. But don't reflect your decisions with mine.

I've had a pretty good run influencing Thai's so far, but flip the question over, what hope would a single person in USA have?

Very little unless they choose to undertake a profession that leads them to influence,

So far I'm pretty happy with the work I've done that has tangibly changed the small area I am in. Education retention higher than normal, most kids staying on, those that can send kids to better schools etc. Local political meetings take place at our home and I get to input advice.

Kids gone onto Uni that would never have done so (not talking about family here) second small business about to start that will bring net income coming into the village areas.

Some changes in farming practices.

So yeah - I have had a significant influence and am happy with it. I'm respected by the community, asked for advice, play a roll with community leaders.

I'm wondering - do YOU feel that alienated from Thai society?

"To have the attitude that its nothing to do with you seems a little misguided maybe you poorly informed spouse is wearing the trousers."

If that is directed at me please reread the post.

Not it is nothing to do with us, rather, there is nothing we as falang can do.

If you think otherwise good luck.

(IN REPLY to hooper, not NG)

I love this part:

"Maj Gen Khattiya said the barricades were modelled on fortifications used in the 1785-86 Burmese-Siamese war during the reign of King Rama I. The war is also known as the "Nine Armies War" after the number of armies Burma used to invade Siam.

He said a 40,000-strong security force would be needed to overrun the barricades, but claimed the government could only muster 10,000 troops and police at the most."

Clearly, this military commander never went to an accredited "war college", or he would realize that there were no tanks in the 1700's (per se) and I'm sure that, if used, it wouldn't take 40,000 troops to overrun the barricades. OMG. What asylum let this turkey out?

HH

Hardy,

"Your statement pisses me off even more than the antics of this idiot Saeh Daeng."

Really? Odd. You are easily pissed off it seems.

"I am living and working in this country for more than 12 years."

As a citizen? With voting rights? Do you own land in your name and not a company name? Can you run for office? Can you leave the country if civil war broke out? Could you take your kids away if the troubles got too intense? Do you think in any meaningful way you have more to say in how the Thais govern themselves than the Thais themselves do? Do you believe you have any real rights by living here and working here all those years?

"My partners and I invested over 100 Million THB and build a group of consulting companies employing 200+ Thai staff und a couple of 100 million THB revenue."

That's great, but what does it get you besides money? You've created jobs. That is a wonderful thing, but also profitable, no? What's your point? That having a company that uses Thai labor gives you some right to say how Thais should govern themselves or be able to protest against said government?

"Since weeks I have to walk through the red camp to reach our office, yesterday even was hindered by force (Sky train closed, motobike stopped) to go to our office. After this disturbing incident we had to take the decision to close our office for the time being."

I'm sorry to hear that. So now you are forced to sit back and wait for the Thai government to handle the protesters. Much as I have said, you have no influence. You are at the mercy of the whims of not only the protesters but the Thai government who has chosen to handle the protests in the manner that they have. As I said in the earlier post, it is up to them really. SO, what I said is true is it not? You have no say, no control, as you are not Thai and cannot influence their policies and decision making. They do as they want, the way they want to do it.

"And there are hundreds of fellow expats, many probably affected even worse by this chaos going on for weeks now."

And I know this. But what influence do these other expats have? None. That is exactly what I said. They can yell and scream all they want, but to no avail.

"You say we should lean back an just watch what is happening?"

I believe I said that 'I' am leaning back and watching the show. (Here's the quote of what I said exactly: It's their country and I just sit back and watch the show, as there is nothing I can do to influence them in any way by what I say or do.) Why? Because that is all I can really do. It is a fact. There's not a damned thing I can do to influence either the government in power, or those trying to bring it down. Nor can you.

"After all as expats we can just pack our bags and leave."

Which again is true is it not? You can leave, as most expats can leave if need be, even though it would be a strain and hassle on many to do so... they can. Most Thais cannot do so. This is their country. They are stuck here for better or worse. They will be the ones who decide what happens here, not us. Is that so hard to understand? You, me, and all us farangs are not really a factor in their decision making process.

"Sorry but you are a complete moron."

This is coming from someone with so minute a level of reading comprehension ability as to be laughable. Read what I said, not what you think I said. Take a deep breath, calm down, and try to be rational. Not one thing I have said is untrue, or moronic. Your frustrations are influencing your thinking abilities.

Archived