British General Election Thread

SpiceMan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw on CNN that non-UK citizens (but EU) can vote in this election. Is that only for residents I would assume?

Yes, resident EU citizens can vote for local government and the regional assemblies (Scottish and Welsh). EU citizens can also vote for Members of the European Parliament, although those seats are not being contested at this time.

EU citizens can not vote for Members of Parliament in the UK General Election. But citizens of the Irish Republic can vote for UK MPs, as long as they are resident. I have never met an Irish citizen who is grateful for that.

With the current voting system the party that comes third in the number of votes will have the most MPs. The party with the most votes will be third in number of MPs. Its a totally broken system that most voters in the UK want to change. If we get a hung parliament this time, then the Liberal Democrats will demand electoral reform in return for supporting either Labour or Conservatives in government. There is a real opportunity for change.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/leading-articles/leading-article-this-historic-opportunity-must-not-be-missed-1962527.html

Archived