Spoke to VI in Swam pu

This evening, about 3 am Thailand time. He lives locally, near the old immigration office, in a modest 2000 baht per month room with his Thai wife, meow of 6 years.

He said the area is carnage,with all the shops closed, he personally has seen 2 dead people, and a good number badly injured.

His wife, who works as a manageress at a Patpong GoGo has been unable to get to work, for about the past week.

Prior to that, although his wife was working, the customers were only Thai army officers, I asked his wife what all the girls were doing, she said they had left and were working as "chickens"

Their mobile coverage has been sporadic for the past week and I was lucky to get through.

Despite the conditons, VI was upbeat and said it was still a lot better than England.

STH

I think he may be talking about the area towards Rama IV from Suan Plu. That is the Ban Kai area that was the scene of some the worst fighting.

There was no carnage on Suan Plu itself, no looting, no fires. The biggest problem is the power is still off as this morning with no sign of it returning any time soon. A substation on Rama IV was badly damaged, which caused a huge blackout in the entire area all up and down Sukhumvit. The power on Sukhumvit came back on about 6:00 PM last night, but Suan Plu and the area toward Narathiwas is still out.

TH

It would not surprise me that the official casualty statistics are greatly underestimated: uncounted bodies.

Indeed, ten thousands of people lost their income over the last month. Would the reds ever consider the pain they inflicted to their neighbours?

It would not surprise me that the official casualty statistics are greatly underestimated: uncounted bodies.

It would surprise (and disappoint) me very much if there were any deaths un-counted and un-documented.

Thirteen people have been killed and 88 others were wounded in clashes between anti-government protesters and troops since Wednesday. There were a total of 50 deaths and 384 injured between May 14 and 20. (Source: Bangkok Post at 16:00 on Thursday)

Relax. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

It *is* a mis-speak of ชนไà¸Â่ (chon gai), which does mean "cock-fighting."

Per Mrs LK's mom, who grew up there, the name is bon gai, a contraction of baan chon gai or "chicken-fighting place."

So if you want to be anal, the correct form is indeed baan chon gai, not bon gai. Tho' most newbie residents (Thai or farang) would not know that as it is lost in the mists of time. I'm lucky, and pass along the knowledge.

Kinda like yeep song IRL means yee sip song (22 for our non-Thai speaking mates)...

Archived