The Irish-Aussie prat ...

Flashermac

Jeff Savage gets a prison visit. Conor Purcell doesn't like the Thai national anthem.

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2010/06/01/foreign-red-shirts-told-to-get-a-grip/

Um...

"A Briton caught on tape threatening to burn down Thailand’s largest shopping mall is suffering from a split personality and undergoing medication, it was claimed today. ... His condition is said to date back to when he was in Bosnia in the late 90’s working with the Red Crescent."

Working with the Red Crescent? Wouldn't that be a bit unusual? Red Crescent would be based out of a Muslim country, no?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Working with the Red Crescent? Wouldn't that be a bit unusual? Red Crescent would be based out of a Muslim country' date=' no?

[/quote']

Bosnia is a muslim country :banghead:

What do you think the war was about, Goats Milk?

Bosniaks

Uh, you're a bit quick on the head banging. You might wanna see someone about that problem.

At the time of that war, I'm not sure Bosnia could be considered obviously a "Muslim country". It was an ethnically mixed country, hence the problems. More Muslims than others, but Bosnian Serb population wasn't far behind the Muslims in numbers.

Anyway, is the Red Crescent in Bosnia, or is it the Red Cross? Since it had been part of Yugoslavia a couple yrs prior, again, not obvious at all that it would be Red Crescent there.

But the point, even if it was the Bosnian Red Crescent, why would he be working for Bosnian Red Crescent? To me that seems a bit unusual. And would be even more so if it was some other predominantly Muslim country's Red Crescent he worked for.

But Mekong, really, this whole angle of "everyone is an idiot except Mekong" gets old.

Uh oh, just looked it up on Wikipedia. You're not gonna like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Red_Cross_and_Red_Crescent_Societies

In Bosnia, it's Red Cross. Not Red Crescent.

YOu can PM me the apology. ;)

Note: Going off topic. Disregard if OT post doesn't interest.

-------

Dialog between Mekong/Wendella caught my interest and brought back a couple memories, both you guys might appreciate.

In Berlin, my girlfriend was Yugoslavian (just before country collapsed). I was crazy about this girl. Aida. You probably remember Wendella there was a large Yugoslav population in the city.

I was very surprised when she told me she was Muslim (she had blonde hair, green eyes, and was artsy-fartsy -- not the image I had in my mind, even back then, of Muslim). The conservative nature of her family and the fact we had to sneak around a lot (dating an American? are you crazy???) were the things that brought it home.

Anyway, in mid 91 her family went back and she stayed in touch as a friend, but when the shit started she told me they had to keep a low profile and then... silence. I knew they were on the run. To this day I don't know what happened with her.

A few years later had friends - ARMY - assigned there. One of the interesting things they related to me was that the US had utilized some Muslim groups to transport arms/support. I don't know the veracity of it, but these guys had no reason to bullshit.

Well, anyway, haven't thought about those things in a long time. Back to your conversation.

Savage in Bosnia? Probably the same as Purcell being in the SAS....

And yes the red crescent as well as the red cross were present in Bosnia during the fightings.

There were discussions among the French troops that some red crescent personnel from Iran was in fact carrying/supplying weapons...who knows, might be true or not.

And if you click on Bosnia and Herzegovina from your link, you will see it only became the Red Cross in 2000

Savage claims to have been in Bosnia in the 90's

NEXT?

Next? Uh not so fast, skipper.... Nice try. But no the link doesn't say that. It says it was founded in 2000. (is that why you didn't quote directly?) Founded means started, not changed its name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cross_Society_of_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina

"Red Cross Society of Bosnia and Herzegovina was founded in 2000.It has its headquarters in Sarajevo."

When you're wrong you're wrong, man. All that banging your head against the wall, wasted!

If there was Red Crescent there at the time, it looks like it would have been from a Muslim country.

Anyway, it's all beside the main point, which is that it's weird that Savage was there, regardless whose Red Crescent he was working for.

Well, anyway, haven't thought about those things in a long time. Back to your conversation.

Yeah, the ones I met all seemed very Muslim to me, or maybe a better desciption would be Not European (tho that's exactly what they were). And usually in jobs like janitor or cleaning lady. Seemed to be a step below Turks in the pecking order.

Disturbing story. My first housemate in Berlin was a Canadian originally from Serbia. For some reason he went back there when the war was on and told me he'd taken part in some 'patrols', rode in a tank, etc. Sounded like bad news from the little he told me. Just hope he didn't get himself too involved but my gut says he did just that. This was a guy not cut out to be fighting in a war.

Ah go bang your head on a wall, why dontcha ;)

Hey maybe I'm wrong. I never was in Bosnia. No idea really. But I sure can't find anything online that says there ever was a Bosnian Red Crescent. You're the one stomping your feet about it. Sorry, banging your head. The world is full of these little nuances.

Archived