Obama Again

Hugh_Hoy

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that politically it was a bad move for him. Especially give the fact we are in two wars and his being a Democrat, that party has to 'appear' more patriotic because, wrong or right, they've been tagged with being anti military.

Appearances is everything or at least important in a Presidency because the office is about symbolism to some extent. That said, I'm not gonna ask him to be impeached over it. His policies towards servicemen will tell us infinitely more about how much he supports the troops than a visit to the cemetary.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised Flahs, HH or Cav has not posted this by now. Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd revive an 'anti-Obama' (hehe) thread. Excerpts of the juicy stuff:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/22/mcchrystal-rolling-stone_n_620795.html

The interview itself http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/119236

General McChrystal, the commander for the Afghanistan war, says some damning things about Obama and others in the administration in a Rolling Stone interview.

He said he voted for Obama so its not ideologically motivated. Side note. I like the tradition of generals and senior officers seeming politically and ideologically neutral. No one knew what Ike or Powell were while they were serving. Dangerous precedents for Generals to start declaring they are Dems or Repubs or supporters of a person politically.

Anyway, when he says that Obama seemed intimidated by the military brass it will give some evidence to his detractors that say he was unprepared to be Commander in Chief. Also, his appearing to not know that McChrystal would be prosecuting the war in Afghanistan. Comments about Biden as well.

Interestingly enough its Hillary that comes out unscathed and he gives a thumbs up to. She basically said 'give him what he wants' and thus earned her high marks.

Make of it what you may.

Grounds for dismissal, to be sure, but I will be very disappointed if OB shit-cans the guy. I can see it happening if OB thinks it's time for a big shift in strategy, but I think its too early to make that decision. Whatever the reason, OB will come out looking like a purely politically minded dickhead if he lets this guy go or demotes him.

<< No one knew what Ike or Powell were while they were serving. Dangerous precedents for Generals to start declaring they are Dems or Repubs or supporters of a person politically. >>

Eisenhower said he did not even register and vote until after he retired, which is carrying thing a bit far. The Dems tried to get him for their party, but he finally decided he was a Republican. Then after he was elected he more or less acted like a Democrat. As to Powell, it was pretty much expected he would be a Republican.

p.s. Remember the big stink during the Gore vs Bushman election, when some mainly Democratic Florida counties made it very difficult for active duty service members to cast absentee ballots - for fear the GIs might actually vote REPUBLICAN? :yikes:

Archived